The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet




Chapter 349: Because I want to be of help

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)


Alpha-san didn’t seem like the type of person who would lie.

So, for a while, nothing unusual should happen, and we should be able to go about our days as normal.

Having decided this, we didn’t rush and decided to talk first.

Returning to the inn wouldn’t allow us to talk calmly with Kanade and the others around.

So, we moved to a park in town.

"The park hasn't changed at all. It's still beautiful."

"......"

"What is it? Why that surprised look? I do appreciate nature, you know. I only dislike humans."

"Uh... sorry. I might have been biased."

"Well, I suppose it's understandable. I've shown you many sides of myself, Rain-sama."

"......Do you still hate humans?"

"I do."

Though she answered firmly, strangely, I didn’t feel any hatred or murderous intent from Iris.

Before, she used to exude a sharp aura, like she could snap at any moment...

But now, that's no longer the case.

She seemed very calm and composed.

"Did something happen since then?"

"You seem surprised by my change... but you’re the one who caused this, Rain-sama."

"Me?"

"Meeting you, talking with you, fighting with you... those experiences changed my outlook. And honestly... it doesn't feel bad."

"...Iris..."

"...Oh."

Iris suddenly looked surprised.

What is she doing, talking about myself?

Her face turned red as she blushed in embarrassment.

"It’s about me, isn't it?"

Then, she began to tell her story.

What had happened since then?

What had she been doing?

Fortunately, we had time.

So I listened to her story slowly.

"...And that’s what happened."

"I see, so that’s what happened to you, Iris..."

She was helped by demons, recruited by them, did some jobs for them...

Learning about Iris's missing time, I felt an indescribable emotion.

I was glad Iris was alive.

But the fact that she was helped by demons...

And even got recruited by them...

Would Iris end up cooperating with the demons?

If so, would we end up as enemies again?

"Iris..."

"I won’t."

"Huh?"

"You want to know if I'll cooperate with the demons, right?"

"…Did I show it on my face again?"

"Yes, very much so. Haha."

Iris laughed joyfully.

Seeing her genuinely happy face, my tension disappeared.

"I owe the demons who saved me, but I won't cooperate with them."

"Why not? From your perspective, there shouldn't be any problem cooperating... Oh, not that I want you to, of course."

"Well... you're right, Rain-sama. I still hate humans. The demons' goal is to destroy humans... so in that sense, our goals align. However..."

"However?"

"...That would mean fighting you again, wouldn’t it? And I don’t want that."

With a mischievous smile that was so like her, Iris said this.

"I see... that's good. I don't want to fight you again either, Iris."

"Is that because I'm strong?"

"Did you just say that yourself?"

"Haha, it's true, after all."

"Geez..."

Iris laughed, and I laughed along with her.

In these moments, I suddenly felt like crying.

Talking with Iris again.

Being able to laugh with her.

It might sound exaggerated, but it felt like a dream.

Failing to save Iris had impacted me greatly.

"Since you’ve told me so much, you’re not planning to follow the demons anymore, right?"

"Yes, that's right. I owe her, but I won't give up everything for that. What I do is my decision."

"I see, that's good... But then, what will you do? After this incident is resolved, I mean... what are your plans?"

"......What should I do?"

With a troubled expression, Iris put her hand on her cheek and tilted her head.

It didn’t seem like an act.

It seemed she was genuinely unsure about what to do next.

Or rather, she hadn't thought about it at all?

"My purpose in life was entirely about revenge. However, now I have no intention of killing humans without reason. As a result, I’m left with nothing, just emptiness."

"Well, that’s... but, in other words, doesn’t that mean you can do anything, whatever you want?"

"Yes, that’s true. But... when given freedom like that, I find myself at a loss for what to do. Pathetically, I don’t know what to do on my own."

Iris seemed like a lost child as she spoke.

Uncertain of what to do alone, she looked anxious.

Without a guide, she couldn't move forward and would just wander aimlessly.

I couldn’t leave Iris alone now.

A strong feeling of responsibility surged within me.

Someone needed to be by her side.

Someone needed to lead her.

To ensure no more mistakes were made this time.

If that role was required of me...

"Would you come with me?"

The words came out naturally.

Iris looked taken aback.

"Huh?"

"Let’s travel together. Become adventurers. What do you think? I’m sure it’ll be fun."

"But, that’s..."

"You don’t want to?"

"No, no! Not at all!"

"Then, once we resolve this incident, join us. I want you in my party."

I strongly felt the desire to be with her.

"But... I have killed many people. These hands are stained with blood. Someone like me doesn’t deserve to be with someone like you, Rain-sama..."

"It's fine. I don’t mind."

"What... but... so easily..."

"Yes, Iris has committed crimes. Perhaps they can never be atoned for. But you're still alive. You can still move forward. So... even if you walk that path with us, it’s okay, isn’t it? There's no rule that says someone who has committed crimes must walk alone."

"But I might cause trouble for you, Rain-sama and your companions..."

"True, something might happen. But even if it does, I want to choose the path where I’m with you. That’s what I want."

"...You're selfish, Rain-sama."

Iris smiled softly.

It was the smile of a girl her age.

"...Can I think about it a bit more? Can I keep my answer on hold?"

"Sure. I won’t force you, and I won’t rush you. Take your time to think it over."

"Yes, thank you."

TL Note- Will Iris join the party?



Comments

Popular Posts