The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet
“…Tch. Looks like they got him.”
At the deepest level of the dungeon stood a certain man.
He carried an aura as sharp and feral as a wild beast, though he hid it behind a pair of sunglasses. He wore an impeccably tailored black suit befitting a gentleman, yet even that couldn't conceal the savage presence emanating from him.
If anything, the contrast between his refined attire and his predatory aura only made him seem even more intimidating.
His name was Verg.
He was a demon belonging to the neutral faction led by Reez.
“What happened?”
The one accompanying him was Mina, a servant of the gods and a former member of the Hero's party.
Ordinarily, humans and demons were irreconcilable enemies.
Traveling together would have been unthinkable.
But circumstances had changed.
The situation was different now.
Humans and demons would join hands and step into a new future together.
They stood here for the sake of making that ideal a reality.
“I sent one of my men to the Hero, remember? His presence just disappeared.”
“No...”
“Well, the other side is the Hero. He probably didn't bother listening to a demon and killed him on the spot.”
“How terrible... May his soul find peace.”
Mina offered a prayer for the fallen demon.
It wasn't because she felt obligated after living under Reez's care...
She genuinely mourned the death of a demon from the bottom of her heart.
There were demons like Reez—ones who could be reasoned with.
With such people, humans and demons could join hands.
If that dream could be realized, the endless war between mankind and demonkind could finally come to an end.
Some might dismiss it as the naïve dream of a child.
But Mina truly was that pure.
Precisely because of that purity, she didn't laugh it off as a foolish fantasy. Instead, she confronted it sincerely and sought to make it a reality.
However...
Reez never seriously intended to bring about peace between humans and demons.
He only spoke of it casually because it made Mina easier to manipulate.
Naturally, Verg, one of Reez's subordinates, knew that all too well.
“…How ridiculous.”
“Did you say something?”
“No, nothing. More importantly, what now? We wanted to talk first, so I sent one of my men... and well, this is the result. Nothing funny about it.”
“Could we not go ourselves? If we did, then...”
“You're still a wanted woman, aren't you, Mina? If you stroll into a town like nothing's wrong, they'll arrest you.”
“That is...”
“That's why I sent a representative. Though, since all I've got are demon subordinates, it was a bit of a roundabout approach. I probably should've hired a human intermediary instead.”
“How did things end up like this...?”
“To the Hero, demons are enemies. Just like bugs—once you find one, you crush it immediately. That's only natural.”
“...”
Having once been part of the Hero's party herself, Mina apparently understood that way of thinking all too well, and her expression became complicated.
But...
She didn't know.
Verg's subordinate hadn't been sent to negotiate.
He had been ordered to cause trouble however he pleased.
Mina knew nothing about that.
“So, talking doesn't seem likely anymore. What'll we do? Personally, I think it'd be faster just to kill him.”
“...That is our last resort. We must try talking first... If we do, I'm sure they'll understand our ideals.”
“You think so...? Well, I was told to help you. Do as you like.”
“Thank you.”
Mina's goal was to make contact with Chiffon, the current Hero.
She wanted to prove her innocence...
And at the same time explain their ideals and ask for her cooperation.
For humans and demons to join hands, the Hero's support was an indispensable piece of the puzzle.
Unless they could convince the Hero and win her over, their dream would never become reality.
That was why Monica had asked Mina to speak with the Hero and bring her to their side.
“If only we can talk...”
Mina was convinced that they were doing the right thing.
This was justice.
The righteous path toward achieving peace.
That was why she believed that Chiffon, the girl who had recently become the new Hero, would understand their ideals if only they spoke properly.
She believed Chiffon would become their ally.
The reality, however...
Mina's actions were far removed from justice.
She clung to the convenient word "ideal," refusing to face her own sins and using it as an excuse to run from them.
All the while, she was being manipulated by Reez and Monica.
It was because she lacked a firm core of conviction that she had become this way.
Yet Mina never realized it.
First the Church used her.
Then Arios used her.
Now Reez and Monica were using her.
She had never been anything more than someone else's pawn.
That was the story of her life.
Unable even to question it, Mina instead considered what they should do next.
“So?”
“…After all, I think I should go myself.”
“You're serious?”
“A long stay would be dangerous, but if I'm only there briefly, I don't think the adventurers or knights will discover me. During that time, I'll find a way to contact the Hero and help her understand our ideals.”
“Well, if you could actually pull that off, it'd definitely be the best outcome... but you do realize the odds of success are pretty low, right?”
“...”
“And what if the talks break down? Personally, I don't believe a Hero would ever join hands with demons.”
“In that case...”
After a brief moment of thought, Mina tightened her grip on her staff.
Then a resolute determination appeared in her eyes.
“As Reez and Monica said... I will eliminate the Hero if she stands in the way of our ideals.”
With a faintly tragic expression, Mina voiced her grim resolve.
If it was necessary to make their ideals a reality, then even the Hero would have to be removed.
Only then, she believed, could true peace finally arrive.
Only then would it prove that everything they had done was not wrong.
That they had been acting righteously all along.
Otherwise...
What had all of their sacrifices been for?
“That's it. The look on your face right now, Mina... that's a good one.”
“Please don't tease me.”
“I'm serious. I'm a demon and you're a human, but right now... I almost feel like taking you to bed.”
“...I'll take that as a compliment.”
“Heh. Figures a priestess would still be so innocent.”
Verg laughed with obvious amusement.
Mina's cheeks flushed slightly.
Having absolutely no experience with that sort of thing, even a conversation like this was enough to embarrass her.
He was an unbelievably rude man.
If he hadn't been one of Reez's subordinates, she might have blasted him with magic already.
And yet...
“…This feels strange.”
For some reason...
She wasn't offended.


Comments
Post a Comment