The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet




Chapter 627: There is no other way.

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)

"Everyone, there's a hidden passage here!"

As soon as the two disappeared, everyone immediately began searching the surrounding area, and Eris discovered a hidden passage.

Nice.

"Hmm... I don't think there are any traps. It was probably built simply as an emergency escape route."

"The cloud of dust from earlier left footprints behind. There's no doubt the two of them came this way."

Stella and Eris really had a keen eye for details.

It was the kind of observational skill I wanted to learn myself.

"Let's go after them right away!"

"Yeah, let's."

Chiffon nodded, while Stella and Eris steeled their expressions.

What awaited us ahead?

Would we be able to capture Mina?

Carrying both anxiety and uncertainty, we entered the hidden passage.


"Hah... hah... hah...!"

Mina and Verg continued running through the hidden passage.

The passage was so narrow that the two of them could barely run side by side.

On top of that, it twisted like a maze, forcing them to stop every so often to figure out which way to go.

Neither Mina nor Verg knew the layout of the passage.

"Why... why did you do that?!"

"Huh?"

Still running, Mina shot Verg a reproachful glare.

"Why did you attack them?!"

"Whoa, hold on. That wasn't my doing—"

"Do you really think you can fool my eyes?"

"..."

"That attack was undoubtedly yours, Mr. Verg."

When they had traveled to Horizon, she had witnessed Verg's power firsthand.

His ability was to manipulate shadows.

He could move from one shadow to another.

Hide within the darkness.

And...

Attack from the shadows.

That was the nature of his power.

Having seen it before, Mina knew.

The attack earlier hadn't been the work of a wild monster.

Nor had Rain and the others staged it themselves.

It had been Verg's doing.

He had launched it to sabotage the negotiations.

Mina glared fiercely at Verg...

And Verg let out a sigh.

"Ah... you're right. My bad. That was my doing. I acted on my own. Even if I was going to do it, I should've at least discussed it with you beforehand."

"Discussed it...? Does that mean you intended to attack them from the very beginning?"

"Of course."

Verg nodded without the slightest hint of remorse.

Seeing his attitude, Mina felt a wave of dizziness wash over her.

What in the world was he thinking?

Winning the Hero over was absolutely essential if humans and demons were ever going to achieve peace.

And yet he had deliberately picked a fight with them...

"Sorry. I just couldn't hold myself back."

"Couldn't... hold yourself back?"

"I mentioned it briefly before... but the subordinate the Hero killed after I let him loose in that town... he was someone precious to me. We were practically family. So when I learned he'd been killed, I honestly saw red. And then... I came up with the stupid idea of making the Hero pay for it."

"That's..."

"I know. It was shortsighted. I've reflected on it."

"...I understand. If that's the reason, then it can't be helped."

"Glad to hear you say that. This mess is my fault, but for now, let's focus on getting away."

"Yes."

Apparently convinced by Verg's explanation, Mina put the matter behind her and kept running straight ahead.

Watching her, Verg chuckled inwardly.

What an easy woman to fool.

Thinking about it normally, would anyone actually believe such a flimsy story full of holes?

Of course not.

No one would choose someone so impulsive as an envoy.

And if he truly hated the Hero that much, he should have confronted him directly from the start.

There were plenty of other inconsistencies as well...

Yet Mina had accepted it without question.

It wasn't just because of her personality.

It was because she trusted Verg that deeply.

That trust made her accept his words without the slightest suspicion.

A very promising sign.

Verg smirked to himself, convinced that the true mission entrusted to him would soon be fulfilled.

His real mission wasn't to support Mina.

Nor was it to protect her.

It was to stir her emotions...

Corrupt her, just as he had done to Lin...

And then send her against the Hero.

If she managed to defeat the Hero, all the better.

And if she failed, he would still obtain a soul of the highest quality.

Either outcome worked in his favor.

Do your best... for my sake.

Laughing inwardly, Verg continued racing through the hidden passage alongside Mina

TL Note- Trap...

Next


Comments

Popular Posts