The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 244: A growing conspiracy

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)


"Here it is."

We left the headquarters of the Knight's Order and blended into the crowd to shake off our pursuers...

Under Sarya's guidance, we moved to a small house in a narrow alley.

It was a small house, probably meant for a single occupant. It was just spacious enough for two people to live in...

There was a dusty, sturdy-looking sofa against the wall, along with a few chairs. For now, I had Sarya sit on the sofa and removed her handcuffs.

"My apologies."

"Hehe, being handcuffed is quite a novel experience, isn't it?"

It might have been meant as a joke, but under the current circumstances, it wasn't funny...

"So... could you please tell me what's going on?"

"Yes, I understand."

Sarya's smile disappeared, and she put on a serious expression. That expression carried a hint of concern directed toward him...

"A week ago, we received news that Rain and the others were arrested on suspicion of murder. I couldn't believe something like that could happen, so I conducted my own investigation. However, I was brushed off by Lord Arios, who insisted that Rain and the others were guilty without a doubt..."

"I see... So what happened next?"

"Lord Arios's attitude seemed unnatural, as if he wanted Rain and the others to be the culprits. I was convinced that something was being hidden, so I contacted Monica."

"Monica?"

"Yes... She's a knight who recently joined Lord Arios's party."

"...Ah, now that you mention it, I remember seeing an unfamiliar face."

He recalled the female knight. She was a beautiful woman, but there was something cold and lifeless in her eyes, occasionally flashing a chilling glare. It was likely that Monica had been dispatched to monitor Arios. He had indeed gone too far in the Pagos incident, and some of the higher-ups must have decided to send Monica as a check on him...

Confirming with Sarya, she confirmed his suspicion...

"Monica used to be in my father's personal guard... Essentially, she's on our side. So she should know about whatever Arios is hiding..."

"From the way you're talking, it seems you haven't reached a conclusion yet?"

"Yes... Monica seems to suspect Lord Arios, but she hasn't found any conclusive evidence. She said she would continue to keep an eye on him."

"Hmm..."

He felt a bit uneasy about Sarya's words. Monica, a former member of the personal guard, should be highly capable. So how was it possible that she didn't have a grasp of Arios's hidden agenda? Did Arios manage to cover his tracks so well, or were their assumptions completely off, and Arios had nothing to do with this case?

He couldn't tell for sure; they were lacking information. For now, he decided to hear more of Sarya's story...

"After that, I continued my investigation independently, but... I'm sorry. I couldn't find anything conclusive either. However, I can say with certainty that Rain and the others are innocent, I swear it in the name of the royal family. So, at least I wanted to help them escape..."

"So, that brings us to this point, I see... I understand."

"I'm sorry for not being more helpful... If only I had more power, I could have cleared Rain and the others of suspicion..."

"No, even just helping us escape is a tremendous help. Besides, I don't know where he got it from, but Arios has video evidence of me committing murder. As long as that evidence exists, no matter how much influence you have, Sarya, you won't be able to overturn the judgment."

"Thank you for saying that."

Sarya showed a soft smile. She must have been burdened by thinking she wasn't of much use...

But it was strange.

"Why are you going to such lengths for me?"

I've helped Sarya before...

But that alone shouldn't be a reason for her to go this far.

Sarya has her own position...

And I'm just a simple adventurer; I can't understand why she would go to such lengths for me.

"Well... I think  Rain will become someone essential to this country. That's probably the reason."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Sorry. I have a part of me that's driven by instinct and intuition, so I can't explain it clearly... But I believe  Rain is someone this country needs for its future."

"Isn't that... a bit too much?"

"No, I don't think so. Maybe my father thinks the same way. That's why he hasn't stopped me and has let me do this freely."

Hearing such grand words... it's a bit bewildering.

But, to put it another way, Sarya values me.

She acknowledges me.

It's a strange feeling.

Once, I was expelled from the party as useless...

Now, I'm being needed and requested by the princess.

Just having her trust is an honor.

I genuinely felt happy about it.

"Understood. For now, I'll accept that."

"I won't spare any effort to help. Let's find a way to overcome this situation."

"Yes, let's do our best."

Now... for the time being, I understand the current situation.

With that in mind, what should be the next step?

"Everyone is... ah."

Almost as a reflex, I'm about to ask everyone, but...

Of course, there's no answer.

They're all still imprisoned.

...

The fact that there's no answer makes me realize that I'm alone.

Until now, no matter what difficulties we faced, everyone was there.

Kanade was there.

Tania was there.

Sora was there.

Luna was there.

Nina was there.

Tina was there.

But... now, there's no one.

I'm all alone.

My hands start trembling naturally.

Honestly, being alone... it's scary.

Being alone is unbearably painful.

"Ah!"

I shake my head.

To be honest, I'm anxious.

I'm so scared it's unbearable.

But that doesn't mean I can just stand still.

Everyone is still captured.

So, what should I do?

I have to save them!

Until now, I've been helped by everyone in various ways.

I've been supported by my comrades.

So, if that's the case...

Now, it's my turn to help.

It's time for me to support everyone.

If I don't do my best here, when will I?

Now is the time to move forward.

I can't afford to stop.

I can't afford to hesitate.

Even if I'm clumsy, awkward, or pathetic...

I have to move forward with all my might!

"All right."

Switching my mindset, I let out a sigh.

"Hehe."

Before I knew it, Sarya had a gentle smile on her face.

"Um... What's going on?"

"I was prepared to support Rain-san if needed... but it seems I worried unnecessarily. Rain-san is a very strong person who can stand up on his own."

"It's not like that. I've always been helped by my friends, and I'm not strong at all."

"There's nothing wrong with relying on the strength of others. It's much better than being alone. So, I hope you can accept my evaluation of you without being modest."

"...I understand."

She has a deep perspective, perhaps because of her position as a princess. For Sarya-san's sake, who has lent her strength to me, I need to overcome this incident safely.

TL Note- Well if they belive Monica then they are screwed. 


Comments

Popular Posts