The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 243 Captured

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)

"During my transfer, I desperately pleaded my innocence.

However, no one listened.

If this were Horizon, perhaps the outcome would have been different.

But this is the capital.

No one knows me, and no one knows my character.

On the contrary, Arios is a famous figure.

Beloved by the people in his role as a hero, he is treated as a legend.

Yet, Arios is asserting that I am the culprit.

There's no recollection on my part, but there is evidence.

I couldn't prove my innocence...

I was separated from my comrades and thrown into the knights' headquarters' dungeon in the capital.

...And a week has passed.

Damn.

There's nothing to do, just time passing.

It's been a week since then.

I wonder if everyone is okay...?

I worry about Kanade, Tania, and Luna. They have impulsive tendencies, so I hope they're not doing anything reckless. Sora and Tina are calm, but occasionally they push themselves too hard, which concerns me. Nina is still young... I hope being in this cell doesn't remind her of when Edgar captured her.

"Nevertheless... first, I have to worry about myself."

Locked in this cell for a week.

Interrogations lasting a few hours several times a day.

Other than that, I haven't been allowed outside, confined to this cell all the time.

The dungeon seems to be underground, with no sunlight reaching here.

Two meals a day, and that's how I'm keeping track of the days.

Even so... it's quite tough.

Being locked up in a place like this, repeatedly questioned...

Fatigue accumulates, both physically and mentally.

I can feel my spirit wearing down.

If I'm like this, it might be even tougher for everyone else.

"I have to do something... but I have no idea what to do, and I can't see any way forward."

The only thing I understand is that staying still here won't change anything.

No, it might even get worse.

The evidence Arios has prepared appears flawless from an outsider's perspective.

There are no flaws, and it's probably enough to prove that I committed murder.

If this continues, I'll undoubtedly be judged as a murderer.

I must prove my innocence somehow, before it comes to that.

However, staying here like this won't achieve that.

"...Maybe I should try to escape?"

A fleeting, unsettling thought crosses my mind.

Escaping itself isn't an issue.

This is the Knights' headquarters, so it's quite secure, but...

Over the past week, I've learned the Knights' routines.

It's not impossible to pull off.

However, even if I escape, I won't have a follow-up plan.

I don't have a clue how to resolve the situation.

Acting recklessly won't help, so I've been staying put...

"But if I stay like this, I won't change anything... Maybe I should escape and then try to reunite with everyone..."

As I ponder the future, I hear footsteps approaching.

Multiple footsteps.

Knights, perhaps?

However, one of them has strangely light footsteps.

Curious, the footsteps stop just outside the cell.

"It's fine here."

"But the person is a murder suspect. Leaving you alone..."

"He's locked in a cell. There shouldn't be a problem, right?"

"Well..."

"You all stay here and wait. This is an order."

"Understood."

Some conversation reaches my ears, and then the door opens.

The person who shows their face from the other side is...

"Hello, Rain-san."

"Sarya-sama!?"

Sarya-sama, wearing a somewhat mischievous expression, has appeared.

"Why are you here... Wait, is this a dream?"

"Hehe, it's real. I'm glad I got to see your surprised face. It was worth coming all the way here."

I don't know Sarya-sama's objective, but...

Could this be an opportunity?

If Sarya-sama becomes an ally, I might not achieve complete exoneration, but I could get close to it. In any case, I want to talk to her...

"Shh."

Sarya-sama puts her finger to her lips, signaling for silence.

"I don't have time to explain all the details. First, let's escape from here."

"But... how?"

"Start by unlocking these magical restraints."

Sarya-sama handed me a key to the magical restraints, and I wondered where she had obtained it. Perhaps she had acquired it on her way here, taking advantage of her status as a princess.

I unlocked the magical restraints on my neck and legs. The feeling of being held down lifted, and I felt lighter.

In this condition, I could use the power I had obtained through contracts with my companions. Escaping from the cell was easy. However, this place was underground, part of the Knights' headquarters. While I hadn't confirmed it thoroughly, there were likely a significant number of knights around.

Sneaking past them unnoticed and escaping safely would be quite challenging. In the Knights' headquarters of the capital, there were knights who could rival A-rank adventurers. Dealing with such individuals all at once would be impossible.

"Use me as a hostage."

"...What?"

"Hold me hostage and escape from here."

I hadn't misheard her.

Indeed, using Sarya-sama as a hostage might make our escape possible. However, I couldn't bring myself to commit such an act of disrespect.

"Rain-san, please hurry. We don't have time."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Even as we speak, Arios-sama is planning to execute you. He's making preparations everywhere..."

"Is that true!?"

"Yes. I know about it and am trying to stop it. Everyone claims that you've committed a crime, but I don't believe it. Rain-san would never do such a thing. I believe in your innocence."

"Sarya-sama..."

"First, focus on escaping from here. You won't be able to do anything while you're captured here... You'll be at Arios-sama's mercy. So... use me to escape from here."

Sarya-sama had determination in her eyes. Despite her being a princess, aiding a criminal's escape wouldn't go unpunished. Yet, Sarya-sama had made up her mind without hesitation.

Seeing such determination and resolve, I couldn't hesitate.

"Understood. I'll use you, Sarya-sama."

"Your bold decision suits you, Rain-sama."

"Now... Materialization."

Using the power I had gained from making a contract with Nina, I created a key for the cell. I unlocked it and stepped outside. Then, I created handcuffs and connected myself to Sarya-sama.

"Um... I apologize."

"Oh... no problem."

I gently lifted Sarya-sama. Since we were connected by handcuffs and I couldn't pull her along, I had no choice but to carry her like this.

Even though she was a princess, she was a young girl. Warm and soft. Occasionally, Sarya-sama's breath brushed against me closely.

No, don't think improper thoughts. Stay focused.

"Please hold on tight."

"Um... am I not too heavy?"

"No, you're fine. I may not look it, but I'm quite strong."

"Hmm... that's not a very convincing answer."

Well, what can I do? I couldn't say that carrying an adult woman made me feel her weight to some extent.

"Alright... here we go!"

"Yes!"

With Sarya-sama in my arms, we made our way out of the underground cell.

The area outside seemed to be a surveillance room.

Three knights, presumably accompanying Sarya-sama, were waiting there.

"What... are you!?"

"Sarya-sama!?"

The knights were visibly shaken as we suddenly burst out.

I didn't intend to let this opportunity slip away. I struck their jaws hard enough to give them concussions, rendering them unconscious.

I retrieved my belongings and equipment from another room and moved toward the staircase leading to the surface.

"Huff..."

Sarya-sama looked wide-eyed.

"I'm sorry. In that situation, I had to be a bit rough... Did I startle you?"

"Yes, but in a different way... I heard the stories, but Rain-san is incredibly strong. Even though it was an ambush, to defeat seasoned knights so easily... That's not something an ordinary person can do."

She didn't seem surprised but rather impressed. To maintain such emotions in a situation like this, Sarya-sama might indeed be quite exceptional.

"You'll be even more amazed in the future. Please continue to stay securely in my custody!"

"Yes! Rain-san"

 With Sarya-sama as my hostage, I proceeded to escape from the Knights' headquarters.

TL Note- And the heroine comes to the rescue.


Comments

Popular Posts