The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 222: Banquet

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)



"Rain... Shroud? Did you say Shroud?"

"Yes, that's right. But..."

The king appeared to be surprised, and his emotions of agitation were evident on his face.

Why is he wearing such an expression?

"Father?"

"Well... no, it's nothing."

Upon receiving Princess Sarya's inquisitive gaze, the king regained a calm expression.

"Then, for tonight, let's have the chefs do their best for our daughter's benefactors. Sarya, lead Shroud and the others to the guest chambers. You probably have things you want to discuss as well, right?"

"Yes. Thank you, Father. Now, Rain-san, this way please."

"Ah, yes..."

Although he felt uneasy under the king's fixed gaze...

It seemed that even if he were to ask any questions now, he wouldn't receive any answers.

Thinking that discussing matters right now wouldn't be productive, he bowed and left the audience chamber.

――――――――――

Night.

A banquet was held in our honor.

The king had described it as modest, but...

On the table were luxurious dishes I had never seen before, lined up one after another.

There was also fragrant wine and seasonal fruits.

Furthermore, desserts like cakes and pastries were prepared, leaving nothing to be desired.

If this was considered modest, I wonder what a truly extravagant feast would be like?

"Nom nom nom! Munch! Mmm... *gulp*... chomp, chomp, chomp!!!"

"Munch munch munch, nibble, nibble, munch... *gulp*... chomp!"

Kanade and Luna were eating with great enthusiasm.

They were eating as if they couldn't get enough.

They seemed completely captivated by the royal cuisine, hearts practically shining in their eyes.

"Meow~♪ Everything is so delicious, it's making me so happy♪"

"I must stock up on as much as I can! I should also inquire about taking some for later!"

"Luna, you're so shameless."

While scolded by Sora, Luna's hands continued their relentless pace.

In fact, they were accelerating.

"Opportunities to eat food like this might not come again. So, I must eat as much as I can now."

"Oh, give me a break..."

Even though she appeared exasperated, Sora was also loading up her plate.

While her eating pace was slow, her appetite seemed boundless.

Watching these food enthusiasts, Tania had a face of disbelief as she ate her meat.

"You should eat a bit more calmly... *munch munch*... Oh, Nina. You've got some sauce on you."

"Huh? *nom*... Did I get it?"

"Not yet. I'll take care of it, so stay still."

Tina's small form floated gently, wiping away the sauce from Nina's mouth.

Since it was nighttime and we were indoors, Tina could function as a spirit.

However, having ghosts roaming around the royal castle wasn't the best image, so she was using a doll's body instead.

"Here, I got it."

"Mm... thanks."

"Nina is cute, so adding sauce or imitating Kanade's behavior would be a bad idea."

"Oh my... I'm not cute or anything..."

"Goodness, this child is so reserved in odd places."

"Nina is cute though. Her cuteness makes you want to pet her, just like with Kanade."

"Oh no..."

Nina, who wasn't used to being praised, blushed and became shy.

Since her actions were also cute, she received more compliments...

And an inexplicable cycle was complete.

"..."

Observing everyone, I ate my meal slowly.

I had coincidentally become acquainted with the princess and ended up meeting the king.

Life is unpredictable indeed.

"Rain-san."

When I was called, I turned around to see Princess Sarya.

She was wearing a glamorous dress, shining as if covered in twinkling stars.

It's amazing how much of a difference clothing can make in one's impression.

"Are you enjoying yourself?"

"Yes, more than enough. Everyone seems to be having a good break as well... Thank you."

"Not at all. If I've been able to repay even a small part of the favor, I'm happy."

Recalling the events during our journey, Princess Sarya put her hand to her chest and spoke.

"Thanks to you, Rain-san, we were able to achieve our goal safely. Allow me to express my gratitude once again."

"By that goal, you mean capturing those knights, right?"

"Yes, that's right."

"..."

"Is something the matter?"

"Well... it's just that it seems quite demanding for a member of the royal family to do something like that."

"Hehe, I don't always do such things. However, if we were to leave it alone, it could have turned into a serious problem. So, I decided to preemptively eliminate the danger. As someone with low inheritance rights, that's pretty much all I can do."

"You still have mixed feelings?"

"Yes, that's right... It would be a lie to say otherwise. If this body can be of use to the country... I think that way is good, but I'm no saint, so I do have my own thoughts. That's why when you stood up for me when we met with the king, I was happy. Although, I was also quite anxious."

"Ah... I'm sorry. I tend to act based on my emotions, so..."

"Hehe, you're quite an interesting person, Rain-san."

Princess Sarya giggled softly.

Her expression carried a sense of familiarity towards me.

It seems that she has taken a liking to me.

Since I'm probably not the type of person often seen around here, she might find me intriguing.

"Hmm. It seems you're getting along well with my daughter."

This time, the king appeared.

I started to lower my head in a hurry, but he gestured to stop me.

"It's alright. Tonight's banquet was arranged for all of you. It would be pointless if I made you feel uncomfortable."

"Since Father is saying that too, Rain-san, please don't worry about it. Just for now, is it alright if you forget that he's the king?"

"That's a difficult thing to do... but I understand."

If the other party wishes it, there's no need to be overly formal.

... Is it okay, though?

"Has Sarya taken a liking to Shroud?"

"Yes. I hope we can become friends."

"That's quite... presumptuous."

"Hmm. Does Sarya fall short in some way?"

"Huh!?! N-No, it's not like that..."

"Hahaha, I'm joking. Don't turn so pale."

Does this person understand their own position...?

I can't just take it as a joke, though.

At any rate, it's bad for my heart.

If possible, I'd like to withdraw from here...

The king was staring at me intently.

It seems like he wants to talk about something.

"Sarya. I'm sorry to ask, but could you leave Shroud and me alone for a moment?"

"Are you planning to monopolize Rain-san's attention?"

"I apologize, didn't I say 'sorry'? I'll make it up to you later. At that time, you can talk as much as you like."

"If that's the case..."

Things are being decided without me, it seems.

Well, I don't really mind since I enjoy talking to Princess Sarya.

"Now then... how about feeling the night breeze for a bit?"

Invited by the king, I stepped out onto the terrace.

A pleasant night breeze blew, gently rustling my hair.

"Now, there should be no one around to overhear."

"Is this about a confidential matter?"

"Yes."

What kind of conversation is this going to be?

Given that the other party is a king, I unconsciously tensed up.

"Well... first, I'd like to ask a few questions. Shroud. Are you from the Southern Continent?"

"Huh? Yes, that's correct."

"Are you by any chance born in the village known as the Beast Tamer's Village?"

"Why do you ask about that...?"

Surprised, I saw the king nod in agreement.

"I see... then, there's no falsehood in that name, it seems."

"What do you mean?"

"In short, you have divine blood running through you. Meaning... you have the qualifications to be called a hero."

TL Note- The cat is out of the bag.


Comments

Popular Posts