The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 159-Iris's Past, 3

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)

"It's ......."(Rain)



 I was speechless.



 In the battle against the Demon King, most of the Heavenly Tribe had died.

 It is no longer the same as before, and rather than protecting humans, even the survival of the species is in jeopardy.



When they are in such a state, even if they are asked to protect them as they have done up until now, ......

 There is no way they can do it.

 It is too absurd a request.



 What were people thinking back then?

 Making absurd demands to the Celestials ......

 Did they think such a thing would be allowed?

 Did they think such a thing would made what kind of consequences?



 And what would Iris have thought when she heard it?

 What would the Celestials have thought?



"What do you think we would have done?"(Iris)

'...... turned them down?'(Rain)

"No, we did not. We tried to be guardians of people, as we always have been, as we always will be."(Iris)



 The words came as a surprise.



"Why?"(Rain)

"Do you wonder? Well, I wonder too. Maybe we were out of our minds at the time. How could we still try to be the guardians of humanity when the very survival of our species was at stake? ......"(Iris)

"Could it be that ...... that is the reason for the existence of the heavenly race ......?"(Rain)

"Fufu...you are correct."(Iris)



 Iris laughs.

 



"We, the heavenly race, were created to protect humans. We do not know any other way of life."(Iris)



 They don't know any other way to live.

 These words seemed so sad.



 It seemed that there was freedom, but there was no freedom at all.

Just like a bird in a cage.

 all you can do is just to do the role you've been given. ......



 I hate to put it this way, but maybe the way of life is somehow broken.



"You look bitter."(Iris)

'Well,......"(Rain)

"What did you think?Would you care to share your honest thoughts?"(Iris)

"I felt that ...... it was strange. I felt that they have no will of their own, or ...... I hate to say it, but they seems to be dependent on others for their way of life."(Rain)

"Dependence,......, fufu you are right."(Iris)



 
Again, Iris let out a self-mocking laugh.

 Looking at that lonely smile, my heart ached as if it were tightening.
 



"We, the heavenly race, were a race that fulfilled the missions given to us by the gods. We have been given a mission by someone else and have made it our way of life to carry it out. Hence, we were no longer able to choose their own path."(Iris)

"That's ...... lonely."(Rain)

"Yes, it is a lonely way to live,...... but at that time we believed that it was the best way and we acted accordingly. Well, it may be that we didn't know any other way to live,......."(Iris)

"You mean you accepted what the humans said, that they want you to continue to protect them?"(Rain)

"Yes, we have. We tried to remain the guardians of the human race, even as our population dwindled. What do you think ...... happened as a result?"(Iris)



 She asked me that question.



 What happened ......?

 If you think about it normally, you can't be a guardian of humanity......, can you?

 The number of individuals has been drastically reduced and the remaining celestials are all women and children.

 They cannot be as powerful as before.



"You can no longer protect ...... them, can you?"(Rain)



 I hesitantly gave such an answer.


'Hmmm......... let's just say you're half right.'(Iris)

"Half?"(Rain)

" We, the surviving celestials, were not left with much power. We can no longer protect humans from demons or eliminate demon tribes as we have done in the past."(Iris)

"Normally, that would be the case. ......"(Rain)



 If so, what does the term "half truth" mean?

 What on earth is the other half ......?



"The correct answer is that we ...... can no longer protect humans, and so we, the heavenly race, were denounced."(Iris)

"Eh......"(Rain)



 I was at a loss for words, not much to say.



"You humans blamed us for losing our power and not being able to move as we used to. 'Why don't you help us?' 'Do you enjoy watching us suffer?' 'You don't really want to protect us, do you?' They told us all kinds of things. ......"(Iris)



 To be treated as a traitor by something you believed in. ......

 How much despair and disappointment must the Heavenly Tribe be feeling at that moment?

 I can't even imagine.



 Is that why Iris gave up on humans?

 Is that why she came to hate humans?



 No ...... yet, I felt there was something more.

 It's not enough to have such a strong hatred for them with just this.



 If so, what more ......?



"We have been told many things,...... but we still foolishly tried to be the guardians of humanity. We have never known any other way,...... but we believed that one day our thoughts would reach each other. We did what we could, hoping and believing that we would be able to communicate."(Iris)

"Can I ...... hear the result of that?"(Rain)

"Yes."(Iris)



 The expression on Iris's face disappears.

 Her face is devoid of any emotion.



 "Betrayal."(Iris)



 What does that mean?

 What have the people of the past done to them?



 I am afraid to ask.

 I am afraid to face the sins of past humans.



 But if I run away from those sins, I will never be able to face Iris again.

 I resolve myself to continue the story.



"Can you tell me what happened."(Rain)

"At that time, not only our heavenly race, but also human beings were on the verge of extinction. The war against the Demon King that had been going on for many years had devastated everything,...... so something had to be done. The humans of that time thought. If the human body is too fragile to live in this desolate world,...... then what should be done? What do you think the humans came up with?"(Iris)



 I had a tremendously bad feeling.



"The answer is very simple. If you don't have the power, take it from those who do. Hey ......, isn't that a very simple answer?"(Iris)

"No way. ......"(Rain)

"The humans said : We're sorry for all the terrible things we've said. We were wrong. As an apology, we would like to entertain you. Will you come?"(Iris)

"......"(Rain)

"We were delighted by their words. We thought that our feelings had finally been ...... understood. And so, we went to the human city, uninvited, and ...... were detained as it was."(Iris)



 The color of hatred flashed on the face of Iris, who had been expressionless.

 I don't see any other emotion.

 Just a strong hatred for the humans ......




 The fist was clenched so tightly that it looked as if it would bleed.

"We who have been captured by humans are ...... well, let's skip this part. It is not a pleasant story to hear or to tell. Anyway, ...... we, the Celestials, were captured by humans and made into experimental subjects. What is the source of the power of the Heavenly Tribe? Is it possible for humans to gain the power of the Celestials? Is it possible to use the power of the Celestials? To these ends, they were subjected to various experiments, and one by one, one by one, our people died."(Iris)



 What words should I say to Iris?



 I think about it, but I can't ...... find any words.

 I just can't find any words.



"We only spoiled them and did not try to have a true equal relationship with them. All we did was to move forward in a foolish way, blindly believing that one day we would understand each other. I don't blame them for us being foolish. ...... but.... But!"(Iris)



 Iris's tone becomes rough.



 

 Shaking her clenched fist, she......

 She bites his lip, revealing her anger.



'Such a cruel fate that we should have to suffer such a betrayal,......! We have done nothing, even if we were foolish. We did nothing wrong. And yet, our friends were treated so badly that they were all killed. How can we forgive them?"(Iris)

"...... Iris ......"(Rain)

"......I was lucky to escape, and I finally woke up. Guardian of humans? The mission of the heavenly race is to protect humans? All such things are a trick. As the last of the Heavenly Race, my mission is to ...... avenge my family and friends. It is to kill and kill and kill ...... as long as I have the power to do so."(Iris)

"Even though those who live in the ...... present have nothing to do with the past?"(Rain)

"Yes, I will kill them even if they have nothing to do with the past. I already hate, loathe, and view the human race itself as an enemy. How can you do such a thing and ...... let bygones be bygones? I, unfortunately, am a child, so I cannot do such a thing."(Iris)

"Well, if you were able to ...... put the past behind you, you wouldn't have a hard time, would you?"(Rain)

"Fufu, I'm glad you understand."(Iris)


 I finally understand why Iris hates people.

 And I ...... sympathize.



 I, too, have lost family members.

 I've lost my dad, my mom, my friends, ...... everything.

 It's not that I didn't think about revenge at the time.



 Sometimes I was so desperate to live that I couldn't afford it. ......

 If I could have afforded it, I would have thought about revenge.



 Not only that.



 What if everyone was lost?

 Kanade, Tania, Sora, Luna, Nina, Tina......

 What if everyone had been killed unreasonably?



 I wouldn't be able to stay calm.

 I would definitely think about revenge.



 That's why ...... I sympathized with Iris's thoughts.

 I felt sorry for her.



'Fufu...... excuse me. I'm a little distraught."(Iris)



 After she finished telling me everything, Iris smiled her usual smile.



 But I know.

 Behind that smile hides a tremendous amount of despair and hatred.

 It hides a sadness that can never be ...... healed.



"This is all I can tell you. Oh, I might add ...... that after I was freed, I was then called a demon as I went around killing humans, gaining power for revenge ...... and was then sealed away. So that brings us to the present."(Iris)

"Thank you for telling me something that's hard to talk about."(Rain)

"No need to thank me? After all it was  It's Rain-sama's request. Well, it's also for you to realize that it's impossible to reconcile with me."(Iris)

"That's ......."(Rain)

"Now ...... I have a question, if you don't mind."(Iris)



 Iris looked at me.

She looked into my eyes as if she was looking into my soul.



"After you have listened to me and learned about me, so  what do you intend to do about it, Rain-sama?"(Iris)

TL Note- I am still recovering from cold. 


Comments

Popular Posts