The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet
There is a lizard called an Imitation Tail.
As long as there isn't an extreme difference in size, it can transform into almost anything.
An Imitation Tail transforms into its intended prey, quietly infiltrates the herd...
And then, when its target has completely let its guard down, it bares its fangs and begins its hunt.
It's a rather troublesome kind of lizard.
This time, we decided to borrow the Imitation Tail's abilities.
It would transform into Lin and walk around the city, serving as bait to lure Mina out.
If Lin, who was supposed to be dead, suddenly appeared, even Mina would be shaken and chase after her without thinking too deeply.
The plan succeeded, and Chocolat successfully captured Mina.
After making sure of that, I ended my synchronization with the Imitation Tail.
Synchronization was a technique that temporarily transferred one's soul into another being.
Even if I commanded an Imitation Tail, it had no memories, so I couldn't make it transform into Lin.
Even if I somehow managed to transform it, controlling its movements exactly as I wanted would be difficult.
In that case, it would be easier to simply do everything myself.
And so, I had synchronized with the Imitation Tail.
"...Now then."
Mina had been captured.
Verg was alone, while our side had almost everyone assembled, except for Kanade, Tania, and Iris.
As a precaution, I had asked Kanade, Tania, and Iris to remain in the city.
"I'd be happy if you would just retreat quietly..."
"Hah, there's no way I can do that."
"I figured."
Verg glared at us as his fighting spirit swelled.
I didn't know what orders he had been given, but Mina was clearly a key player.
If Verg lost Mina, it would be practically the same as having his entire scheme fall apart.
Therefore, retreating here probably wasn't an option for him.
He would undoubtedly do whatever it took to get Mina back.
"Then... you'll have to deal with all of us."
We dispelled the magical camouflage.
Sora, Luna, and Nina.
Tina, Finia, and Sakura.
And Nokia-san.
Everyone who had been hiding revealed themselves at once.
We would be overwhelming him with numbers, but I didn't care.
Verg's companions were the kind of people who attacked cities indiscriminately.
We couldn't simply leave people like that alone.
To make sure they couldn't escape, we would crush them here.
"Sorry about this. Call me a coward if you want, but we're going to overwhelm you like this."
"Then I'll call for reinforcements too."
Verg fired a magic projectile into the sky.
It burst like fireworks, serving as a signal, but...
"...?"
Verg's companions were demons.
Since we had no idea what kind of attack they might launch, we had been on guard, but...
For some reason, there was no response at all.
Was this a strategy to throw off our timing?
Were they waiting for an opportunity to launch a surprise attack?
No, even so, they were taking an awfully long time...
"...Hey, what's going on?"
Verg also seemed confused.
His expression was one of suspicion, and he wasn't even trying to hide his bewilderment.
If this was an act...
It was almost too convincing.
He was a demon, but he could probably make a career as an actor.
"Rain, I don't understand what is happening, but isn't this an opportunity? It seems his reinforcements aren't coming."
"Shouldn't we press our advantage and finish this in one go?"
"That's..."
Just as Luna and Sora said, this might indeed be an opportunity.
But I had a bad feeling about it...
What should we do?
Should we attack, or should we defend?
As I hesitated, unable to decide...
"Ooh, I found some demons!"
"Looks like this guy wasn't lying after all."
Two unfamiliar voices reached my ears.
I turned toward them...
And my eyes widened in shock.
"What...!?"
A pair of cat ears poked up from the girl's head.
And a cat's tail swayed back and forth behind her.
The other girl had horns that seemed to pierce the heavens.
And a tail covered in scales.
She wasn't Kanade, nor was she Tania...
There were two unfamiliar girls: one from the Cat Spirit Tribe and one from the Dragon Tribe.
The dragon girl was holding something that appeared to be a demon in one hand.
I say "appeared to be" because its body was gone, leaving only its head, making it impossible to identify it properly.
However, it seemed to still be alive despite being in such a state, and the only beings capable of surviving like that were probably demons.
"Thanks for showing us the way."
"H-help...!!!"
"Then, goodbye."
The dragon girl smiled sweetly and crushed the head she was holding in her hand.

Comments
Post a Comment