The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet




Chapter 385: Try Again

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)


With our arrival, the Phoenix Tribe went on high alert.

We tried to get them to hear us out, but the atmosphere wasn’t conducive to any discussion at all...

I couldn’t find any clue to resolve the situation.

Rather than insist on staying here, it’s probably better to seek Shigure-san’s help again.

With that decision, we returned to the Wolf Tribe’s village.

"Welcome back. From the looks of it... I guess things turned out just as I warned, huh?"

Seeing us return, exhausted, Shigure-san gave a wry smile.

"I’m sorry... You warned us beforehand, and yet, this is the result."

"It couldn’t be helped. The Phoenix Tribe sees humans as their complete enemies. They view them the same way they do monsters. You’re lucky to have made it back safely."

"There was a girl who came out alone at first... If we had been attacked by all of them at once, it might have been dangerous."

"Oh, a girl, huh? What kind of girl?"

"Well... she had red hair. She seemed about the same age as Kanade. Also, she was wearing a distinctive collar."

"Ah, I see. That must be the young lady Finia. That girl tends to be a bit timid... Thanks to that, you might’ve been spared. If it had been any other member of the Phoenix Tribe, they would’ve burned you with even stronger firepower."

"Do you know her?"

"She’s good friends with Sakura. I know her quite well."

Now that I think about it, I wonder what the relationship between the Wolf Tribe and the Phoenix Tribe is like.

In our haste, we headed straight for the Phoenix Tribe... but maybe that was a mistake.

Investigating the relationship between the Wolf Tribe and the Phoenix Tribe might reveal some kind of breakthrough. We should probably slow down and prioritize gathering information.

"Shigure-san, are the Wolf Tribe and the Phoenix Tribe on good terms?"

Chiffon asked the question I wanted to ask.

"Well... It’s not bad. In fact, we’re on pretty good terms."

"In that case..."

"You want us to mediate for you, right? Sorry, but that’s not possible."

Shigure-san shook her head, anticipating Chiffon’s words.

"I know about your situation, and I want to help. But... if mediating causes a rift between the Wolf Tribe and the Phoenix Tribe, it would be a disaster. It took us a long time to gain their trust, you know... I can’t just do something that might destroy that in an instant."

"Nyaa... But just acting as mediators so they’ll hear us out could cause such a big problem?"

"Yes. The Phoenix Tribe doesn’t just dislike humans; they see them as enemies. It’s like... Well, imagine if a human suddenly showed up at the Cat Spirit Tribe’s place with a monster and said, ‘This guy’s cool, hear him out.’ How would you react?"

"...I’d be extremely cautious."

"Exactly. To the Phoenix Tribe, humans are no different from monsters."

According to Shigure, the Phoenix Tribe had suffered greatly at the hands of humans, much like the Heavenly Tribe had.

It was a story that made sense, and I couldn’t blame them.

However, giving up wasn’t an option.

No matter how slim the chances.

No matter how little hope there was.

If it was to save Iris, I would give it everything I had.

"Even so, please, could you act as our mediator?"

I bowed my head as I asked.

A troubled voice came from above me.

"Good grief... After hearing everything, you still ask for that?"

"Yes."

"Have you considered the possibility that it might trouble the Wolf Tribe?"

"In that case, I’ll do everything in my power to mediate."

"I feel like you’re asking for the impossible, like a child’s naive idealism."

"I understand reality. I know it’s an unrealistic dream. But even so, I don’t want to give up."

"Do you think you can see that ideal through to the end?"

"I can’t do it alone. But I have dependable comrades."

"Nyaa... Rain."

"With everyone by my side, I believe we can do anything. We can challenge any impossibility."

"..."

Shigure stared at me intently.

Her eyes were gentle, but the pressure behind them was intense.

I felt like I might look away.

But I didn’t.

I needed to convey my resolve and get her to acknowledge it.

I stared back at her, unwavering.

"...Phew."

After a while, Shigure let out a sigh.

She gave a wry smile, as if to say, "I guess I have no choice.

"Good grief, you're stubborn. It's been a long time since I've met a human like you, Rain."

"Um...?"

"As for whether I'll act as a mediator, I can't decide that just yet. It's not something I can decide on my own. But I promise that I'll bring it up for discussion with everyone in the village."

"Really!?"

"Your strong resolve moved me. The Wolf Tribe is weak against straightforward people like you."

"Thank you so much!"

"And... there's a connection too."

A connection? What could that mean?

Before I could ask, Shigure-san stood up.

"Well then... I need to call an emergency meeting. Sakura, gather everyone in the square."

"Awn!"

"We'll probably be holding the meeting right away, so Rain and the others can rest here. You've had a long and tiring journey."

"Uh... alright. We'll take you up on that offer, then."

While Kanade, Chiffon, and I still looked fine...

Nina and Rifa, the younger ones, were starting to nod off.

So, as she suggested, we decided to take a break.

――――――――――

The plaza became noisy, signaling the start of the meeting.

How much time has passed since then?

I think it's been about three hours, but there’s still no sign of it ending.

I stepped outside the tent.

"What’s up, Rain-kun?"

"I just wanted to check on things."

"Shouldn’t you rest a bit more, Rain-kun...?"

"I’m fine. I’m not overdoing it, and I’m managing my condition properly."

Ignoring Chiffon’s concerned look, I headed outside the tent. Before long, I spotted Shigure-san, alone, with no one else around.

"Oh? What’s the matter?"

"Uh... I just wanted to see how things were going."

"Ah, I see. Sorry for making you wait. The discussion is dragging on much longer than I expected... This is just a little break. I apologize for the time it’s taking, but please wait a bit longer."

"Okay, I understand."

We stood there, letting the wind wash over us, just the two of us. The breeze of the northern continent was crisp and refreshing.

"..."

"..."

There was a moment of silence, then...

"You’ve got something you want to ask, don’t you?"

It was as if Shigure-san could see right through me.

"How did you know? Could it be that..."

"It’s not some special ability of the Wolf Tribe or anything like that. It’s just that you’re easy to read, Rain."

"Ugh..."

Am I really that easy to read?

Since so many people have told me this, I’m starting to get a little self-conscious.

"Um... why are you being so kind to us?"

"Hmm... I suppose you could call it a connection, or 'fate.'"

TL Note- Fate?

Next



Comments

Popular Posts