The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 320 The end for now and the next upheaval

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)

"Ri..."

"Hehe."

Just as I was about to call out to Rifa, an eerie laughter echoed. 

Reflexively, I aimed Kamui behind me and turned around, finding Monica standing there.

"You...!"

"Has Lord Weiss been defeated...? Well, this might become a bit troublesome. I might get scolded as well."

Although Monica spoke those words, the smile on her face didn't fade. If anything, it twisted into a deeper, more sinister grin.

"R-Rain... that one is too troublesome..."

"Mu... I apologize... I cannot stop..."

Behind Monica, Kanade and Luna sat back-to-back on the floor, sighing heavily. They were drenched in sweat, looking utterly exhausted.

Facing those two unscathed. And not just that, they were completely toyed with... Is she truly human? They cannot be underestimated.

I readied Kamui for combat, but Monica sheathed her sword.

"What are you planning?"

"Well, now that Lord Weiss has been defeated, there's no reason for me to fight you here, Rain-san and the others."

"Aren't you going to avenge your master?"

"My master is someone else. I'm just here as a reinforcement, nothing more."

"..."

"Lord Weiss has been defeated, and we can no longer incite a Stampede. Our purpose remains unfulfilled. While we might want revenge, it would be meaningless. Acting emotionally is unwise. So, let's call it quits here."

"You're quite talkative compared to Weiss."

"Hehe."

I couldn't quite grasp what Monica was thinking. However, it seemed she truly had no intention of fighting. She conversed casually, devoid of any fighting spirit.

Still, that wasn't reason enough for me to let my guard down. If I could capture Monica here, we might uncover the true intentions of the demons in this incident. I wasn't planning on letting her escape easily.

"You seem to have a face that says you won't let me escape easily."

"...Can you read minds?"

"You're quite easy to understand, Rain-san."

I've been told that occasionally, but hearing it from Monica was unexpected. It's... a complicated feeling.

Despite being enemies, Monica's demeanor almost felt friendly. I she really a enemy? Sometimes, I find myself doubting.

"Well, I'll be taking my leave. I can't afford to get caught here."

"Do you just admit that straightforwardly?"

"I don't need your permission, Rain-san. Besides... my real body isn't here."

"? ...!"

Suddenly, I had an idea and shot out Narukami's needle. Even though it should've been visible, Monica made no attempt to dodge.

The needle passed through Monica without piercing her foot.

"An illusion...?"

"Rain... that one, she's using illusion magic..."

"I believe her real body is somewhere else..."

Kanade and Luna, exhausted as they were, informed me of that.

"To think one could do such a thing to people..."

"I'm a bit different, you see."

"...Just who are you? What are you planning?"

"Hehe, that's a secret."

Monica plastered a childish smile on her face.

"However... simply bidding farewell like this seems a bit lacking, doesn't it? How about we make a deal?"

"A deal?"

"We'll each ask one question. And we must answer truthfully... How about it?"

There's quite a bit of doubt whether Monica would answer truthfully. Also, I'm anxious about what kind of question she'll ask.

But it's also an opportunity. Monica was with Arios. That means there's a chance they're still together.

It might be a chance to get clues about the fugitive Arios...

Should I take the bait and see where this leads?

"Alright. I'll accept that deal."

"Thank you. Then, may I go first?"

"Sure, go ahead."

"Then... Rain-san, do you intend to become the next Hero?"

"...No."

After some hesitation, I decided to answer honestly. Monica seemed to have some information about the Hero since she was deeply involved with the country. She probably knew about the branch family as well.

So, there's no point in lying. I spoke my true intentions to make the deal work.

"Is that so?"

"I've heard such talk before. But I'm not cut out for it. If it comes down to it, I'm willing to fight... but for now, I intend to act as an ordinary adventurer."

"I see... Yes, it seems you're not lying. Thank you for accepting the deal."

Monica maintained her smile and lightly nodded. She really throws you off your pace.

"Can I go next?"

"Yes, please. Since Rain-san has spoken the truth, the deal is established. I promise to also speak the truth without lying. However, you only get one question. What would you like to ask?"

"Alright..."

It's quite an important question. I can't ask hastily; I need to carefully consider the question's content.

Monica mentioned she was dispatched as reinforcement for Weiss. That means she's in cahoots with the demons. Perhaps her master is also a demon.

In that case...

Is Arios also involved with the demons?

"You can ask anything, but if you take too long to decide, it'll be troublesome."

"...Understood. I've made my decision."

My question is...

"What are your intentions regarding Arios?"

I asked.

Presumably, Monica guided Arios as an informant. I've heard such stories from Lady Celia.

After causing such trouble, Arios is irredeemable as a hero. And there's hardly anyone who would pledge loyalty to such an Arios.

Her assistance must have some purpose behind it.

What is that purpose?

It's just a gut feeling, but it feels crucial, so I turned it into a question.

"..."

Seemingly surprised, Monica widened her eyes.

"What's wrong? Can't answer?"

"No... my apologies. I didn't expect you to ask about Lord Arios, so I was taken aback. It seems Rain-sama might not be as easily underestimated as I thought..."

"The answer to the question?"

"Yes, I'll answer now. Regarding Lord Arios... well, there are various factors, so it's not easily summarized, but if I were to put it into words..."

Monica smiled warmly and stated her purpose.

"We intend to make him a seed to start a new war."

"A war...?"

"Of course, a war between demons and humans... that's what I mean."

"To do such a thing? But that's... no."

I want to believe it's a lie, but unfortunately, Monica doesn't seem to be lying. Using Arios to instigate another war between demons and humans. They must be seriously planning such a thing.

The problem is how they'll use Arios...

"...It seems there's no further service to offer."

As if fulfilling her duty, Monica's figure disappeared.

Monica's smile lingered in my mind, and a sense of foreboding grew. It's... a premonition of a new conflict.

TL Note: The demons are on the move but this time with the former hero/villain.





Comments

Popular Posts