The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 238 Goal

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)


"..."

"..."

An awkward silence filled the air.

Guided by a mouse, he had been aiming for the deepest part of the ruins...

Along the way, he entered a spacious room where he found Axe.

"Hey," he exchanged an incredibly simple greeting, but no words were spoken after that.

Rain never brought up the past and would engage in normal conversation, but Axe had an awkward side to him. There were still things on their minds, making the atmosphere uncomfortable.

However, they both felt the same way, and neither knew how to break the ice. Nevertheless, they couldn't just stay like this forever.

"So, Axe, what are you doing here?" Rain finally asked.

"Huh? Oh, I'm an examiner. I assess the abilities of examinees like Rain, sort of like an obstacle... well, something like that."

"I see."

So, he was the gatekeeper, the classic role, but it seemed like he had to defeat Axe to proceed deeper into the ruins.

"Oh... you don't necessarily have to defeat me to move forward," Axe said, as if reading Rain's thoughts.

"The test conducted here has two options. Either engage in a battle with me and take the shortest route, or avoid me and take the longer path. It's as simple as that."

"I see."

"If you choose the shortest route, you can reach the goal from here in one minute. If you opt for the longer path, it'll take about an hour. If you have the time... Hey, wait a minute! Why are you preparing your weapon?"

"To take the shortest route, I assume I need to defeat Ax, right?"

"You don't hesitate at all, do you? Well, I don't know how to feel about that."

Recalling the recent events, Rain remembered facing Axe like this before. He had never regretted his choice that time. Therefore, he could make the same choice now.

Rain drew his sword, but Axe didn't make a move to draw his.

"Axe?"

"Oh... how should I put it..."

Axe hesitated, "Shouldn't we try a different approach?"

"Huh?"

"My role is to assess the examinees' abilities. Normally, I'd engage in combat, but... well, with Rain, it shouldn't be necessary, right? Besides, I... even though it's a test, I don't want to go through what we did last time."

"I see."

"That being said, I still stand by my choice. I haven't regretted it. But... I think you feel the same way, right?"

"Yeah, I don't have any regrets."

"Then, we were both right... let's just leave it at that. I'm tired of fighting with you, Rain. Even though it was only for a short time, we were in the same party... Oh, forget it!"

Axe and Rain scratched their heads simultaneously.

"Anyway, If I can I also don't want to fight you again, Axe."

"It's nice to hear you say that."

"Well, the outcome is clear if we fight, isn't it?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well, last time I won, didn't I? Not much time has passed since then, and the result would be the same if we fought now, wouldn't it?"

"Don't say that, you bastard! I didn't lose to you back then. I lost to your companions. Could you have fought a fair battle against the strongest species? If it were just Rain, I would have won easily."

"Is that so?"

They both laughed in a challenging manner.

Of course, these words weren't meant seriously. It was more like they were playing with words, akin to a small child insisting they were stronger.

It was a communication style befitting of these awkward men, Rain hoped people would see it that way.

"But what will you do if we don't fight, Axe? Aren't you the examiner?"

"As I mentioned before, I already know Rain's abilities. There's no need to test you. But I can't just let you pass without going through the test."

"You're inflexible."

"That's just how I am."

That was very much like Axe. He was serious about his work.

As for things outside of work...

Rain decided not to comment on that.

"But if we don't fight, what will we do instead? Shall we have a battle of wits?"

"Are you planning to kill me, Rain?"

"Why would you even think that? Are you trying to say our brains would short-circuit from thinking too much if we had a battle of wits?"

"Let's settle it this way."

Axe moved to a suitable step, leaning on his elbow.

"Arm wrestling?"

"With this, we can measure our strength, and... well, it's a good way for two guys to settle things, right?"

"It's straightforward, I'll give you that."

They couldn't help but laugh. They moved to face each other, elbows on the ground, and gripped hands.

"Sorry about this."

"It's not something you need to apologize for, Axe. You said it yourself, you didn't do anything wrong."

"I haven't changed that feeling. But... even so, I have my own thoughts about not being able to support the path my comrades have chosen."

"I see."

Axe's eyes widened at me not rebuting at the the word "comrades."

Then he smiled softly.

"Thank you."

"Huh?"

"...It makes me happy to hear that from a comrade."

"Can I count you as one of my comrades?"

"Why the hesitation?"

"Is the questioning tone really necessary?"

"In that case, sure comrade."

Although they had parted ways like that...

They might have the opportunity to walk the same path again.

That possibility was not zero; it had been demonstrated now.

So, Rain called Axe a comrade.

He believed everyone else would agree.

"Geez... Rain, you really are straightforward. It's blinding to watch."

"Is that so?"

"You don't even realize it... well, I guess that's what makes you Rain."

"Is adding 'I guess' really necessary?"

They exchanged many words that they had missed during their previous encounters.

It was enjoyable and comforting.

He'd like to stay like this for a while longer, but...

There was the matter of the exam, and he needed to move forward soon.

They could nurture their friendship later.

"So, shall we..."

"Let's begin!"

With that word as the signal, Rain and Axe exerted their strength in their arms.

――――――――――


"Meow... I can't calm down."

Kanade was restless, pacing back and forth in the hall.

Tania sat down in a suitable spot, staying still.

Sora and Luna seemed to have had a disagreement and were now chasing each other around.

Seeing the two of them like that, Nina was bustling around nervously, while Tina had a smile on her face, as if finding it endearing.

"Everyone seems pretty calm... Aren't you worried about Rain?"

"Of course, I'm worried."

Tania replied.

"But at the same time, I trust him. I'm sure Rain will make it here within the time limit. He'll pass the test properly. So, it's going to be okay."

"Meow... Tania, you're strong. I can't seem to feel that way..."

"Do you not trust Rain?"

"I do! I do trust him... But, but, I just can't shake this feeling of worry... Meow."

"Well, Kanade, that's fine, isn't it?"

"Is it?"

"There's no right or wrong in this. Since there's no clear answer, I think you should consider Rain in your own way, each with your own feelings."

"Tania, you're so mature."

"Kanade is just a kid."

As they chatted, other adventurer parties began to appear.

They showed their faces from various corridors, and one by one, they became successful candidates.

And finally, the last to show up was...

"Meow, Rain!!!"

"Everyone!"

Without realizing that he had reached the goal, Rain was overjoyed to be reunited with his friends.

Kanade and the others felt the same way...

"Phew, Good grief."

Seeing Rain and his friends rejoicing at their reunion with smiles, Cell let out a small smile as well.

TL Note- Look like we have our winner , Rain finally ends his loner arc

Ps-The Google ads are back to normal there might be some changes in the intestity of ads but auto ads will fix it soon 


Comments

Popular Posts