The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 226: An awkward reunion

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)




The guild's layout isn't much different from Horizon.

There's a reception counter, a bulletin board with posted requests, and a space for adventurers to interact with each other.

In comparison to Horizon, it's larger in scale, boasting several times the space... but other than that, the basic setup is the same.

Axe and Cell are sitting in chairs, conversing with unfamiliar adventurers.

They're probably discussing mission details.

"Ah... it's been a while."

"Yeah, it has."

Awkward greetings are exchanged.

Neither Axe nor I seem to be properly looking at each other.

Our gazes lightly avert, and we wear uncomfortable expressions.

"Oh, Cell, long time no see! ♪"

"I wonder if you've been well?"

"Yes, I have. And about you... there's no need to ask, it seems."

The women seem at ease, rejoicing in their reunion.

Seeing her companion act like that, Axe becomes flustered.

"Hey, Cell. Why are you being so friendly all of a sudden?"

"You're saying strange things. When you meet a familiar face, it's normal to react this way. Or would you prefer I make a displeased face?"

"I'm not saying that... but, you know, Rain and we..."

"Used to be adversaries."

"If you know that, then why...?"

"Sigh... Axe, you're such a fool."

Cell says this with exasperation.

That single statement seems to have a greater impact than expected, causing Axe to grimace.

"Even though we used to be adversaries in the past, there's no reason for conflict now, right? We fought, yes, but we never wanted to kill each other. So, Axe, are you saying you'll never make up with someone you've quarreled with for the rest of your life?"

"It's not like that... but, you know, it's all so sudden. It's not easy to just let go like that."

"That's because you're still childish."

Does that mean I'm also childish for feeling awkward...?

I want to ask, but I decide against it, as I'm likely to be told, "That's true."

"Ah... sorry for interrupting the conversation."

Cell apologizes to the adventurer they were talking to.

Being good-natured, they return her smile.

"Don't worry about it. From what I heard, you're acquaintances, right? I'll be off then, rekindle old friendships."

"Thank you."

"Hey, hey, it's not like I..."

"Well then, let's discuss that matter another day."

The adventurer leaves the guild with a smile.

...

Silence.

Everyone seems to have left the conversation to Axe and Cell, not saying a word.

Cell, too, seems to have handed over the reins of the conversation to Axe, not saying anything.

"Ah... have you been well?"

Since it's been silent for a while, I decide to throw out a safe phrase.

"Yeah, I have. And you?"

"As you can see."

"You're still surrounded by your harem as usual... damn it. If only I were surrounded by beautiful girls like that..."

"Oh my. If I'm not satisfying, you're free to disband anytime."

"I'm sorry, I was wrong, so please don't say things like that!!!"

Axe quickly prostrates himself.

"How did he manage to prostrate himself so fast without me seeing..."

"That's impressive... he's quite something."

Kanade and Tania shudder at an odd moment.

"Seems like you're doing well."

"...Rain and the others too."

Finally, even if only slightly, we manage to exchange smiles.

I once thought our connection had been severed...

But that wasn't the case, and we're able to meet again.

Well, I'm not sure if we'll get along as well as we did when we journeyed together...

Still, I genuinely feel happy to be able to talk again.

"Do you have time? Well... we do have some free time. We could keep you company for a little while."

"You're such a tsundere."

"Tsundere indeed."

"Shut up!"

Axe's face turns red as he shouts in response to Sora and Luna's teasing.

Deciding to accept Axe's invitation, I take a seat at the table.

Since there are so many of us, we decide to connect two tables together.

Once everyone is seated, Cell's expression softens into a gentle smile.

"Again... it's been a while. I'm glad to see you're doing well."

"You two haven't changed either."

"Oh, is that a way of saying we haven't grown?"

"No, not like that... Cell, have you become even more mischievous?"

"Hehe, just kidding."

"...Are you two really on good terms?"

Axe gives us a sharp look.

"Isn't Cell's smile only meant for me... gah?!?"

"Who belongs to whom?"

"S-Sorry... I got carried away."

Axe wears an agonized expression.

Presumably, he's being stepped on.

"By the way, why are Rain and the others heading to the capital? Did you change your base of operations?"

"No, it's not like that. We're planning to take the exam."

"Could it be for A-rank?"

"Yeah, that's right. After Axe and Cell left, a minor incident occurred in Horizon... we resolved it and were promoted to B-rank. That's when we heard about the A-rank promotion exam, so..."

"I see. Well, I think it's a good idea. I believe Rain and the others will pass easily. But... could this be fate?"

"Huh? What do you mean..."

"Secret. It's more fun to keep certain things to yourself."

There seems to be something, but Cell has no intention of revealing it.

She wears a mischievous expression, like a child plotting a prank.

It's probably nothing bad... hmm, it's intriguing though.


――――――――――

"Then, we should be heading off soon."

After talking for a while, Cell says this and stands up.

Axe follows suit and stands up as well.

Before we realize it, about 30 minutes have passed.

It seems we got caught up in conversation more than expected.

"If you're interested, let's meet again. Here's the contact information for the inn we're staying at."

"Thank you. We haven't decided on accommodations yet, so we'll contact you once we do."

"We'll be waiting. Well then, let's go, Axe."

"Yeah, I know. But before that... Ah, Rain."

"Yeah?"

"...Until next time."

"Sure, see you."

Cell aside , Axe and I still have some awkwardness between us.

Nevertheless, we're slowly getting closer.

"Rain, you look happy."

"Do I?"

"Yeah. You're smiling."

"...I guess so. I feel happy."

Once, I thought our connection with them was completely severed.

I want to express gratitude for that not being the case.

"Now then... let's get done what we need to."

"It's the gourmet tour of the capital!"

"No, that's not it."

"We're signing up for the promotion exam!"

"As Tina says, don't forget our purpose. The gourmet tour comes after that."

"We heard you! It's a promise!"

With wry smiles, we head to the reception.

"Excuse me."

"Yes, what can I help you with?"

"Wait, Natalie-san!?"

For some reason, Natalie-san is at the reception.

"Oh, do you know Natalie?"

"Huh? What?"

"Hehe, it seems like you mistook me for Natalie."

"Is that so...?"

"Yes, it is. I'm Nunnally, Natalie's twin sister. Nice to meet you."

I'm surprised.

I didn't expect that Natalie-san had a twin sister who also works as a receptionist at the adventurers' guild...

She probably didn't mention it because she thought we'd be surprised.

Natalie-san does have a mischievous side to her after all.

"Could you be Mr. Shroud?"

"Why me?"

"I've heard quite a bit from my sister. Quite a bit indeed... hehe."

I wonder what kind of conversations they've been having...

"What brings you here today?"

"I'd like to apply for the A-rank promotion exam. Have you been informed about it? Oh, and here's this, a letter of introduction."

"Yes, I've been informed. I'll take the letter of introduction as well."

Nunnally efficiently fills out the documents.

She's as competent as Natalie-san.

"The process is complete. The exam will be held at a later date, so please return to the guild then."

"Understood."

And thus, I've decided to challenge the A-rank promotion exam.

I'm not sure if I'll pass, but...

I'll give it my all and make sure I have no regrets.

TL Note- Life is nothing but accumulation of hellos and goodbyes...




Comments

Popular Posts