The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 224: Swelling Malice


(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)

After successfully completing the mission to defeat the chimeras nesting around the capital city, Arios and his group returned.

People caught sight of Arios and his companions and cheered.

In the Horizon, the name of the hero had fallen to the ground...

But in the capital, it was different.

Humanity's hope.

The savior to defeat the Demon Lord.

They were treated as such and gained the support of many.

While some information from the Horizon cities had reached them...

Since it concerned distant towns, nobody took it seriously as the facts had likely been distorted.

"Sigh, I'm tired. Dealing with chimeras is such a troublesome mission, and it's been a while. Hey, hey, we won't have to do this kind of thing anymore, right? Tomorrow won't turn out like this again, will it?"

Lin sighed wearily.

She genuinely wished for an easy life filled with wealth, honor, and status, disliking anything that required effort.

"As for tomorrow... who knows? There might be some tasks, but even so, we shouldn't become more selective. Right now, we need to restore our reputation, and we must grow stronger as well."

Mina, raised as a priest in the church, served both Arios and the country. Hence, she didn't find the assigned tasks bothersome. However, fundamentally, she only considered their own benefits, somewhat similar to Lin.

Aggus inquired of Monica.

"What about that? Will there be a mission tomorrow?"

"Well... I can't say for sure until we return to the royal castle and confirm, but probably not. We've had so many missions recently. It's about time we took a break."

"I see, that's helpful."

"Yay, a long-awaited break! Hey, hey, since we've been handling all these missions, it's only natural we'll get paid, right?"

"Yes, I believe there won't be any issues. From my perspective as well, all of you have been fulfilling your tasks properly, so there's no reason to withhold payment."

"Hehe, what should I buy? Maybe I'll look around for accessories? Mina, want to come with?"

"I'm not interested in such things..."

"Sigh... you're something else. You're a girl, so learn to dress up a bit. I'll teach you."

"Well... I'll leave that to you."

"What about you, Monica? Joining us?"

"I'm sorry. It's a tempting invitation, but I have some things to take care of..."

"If that's the case, there's nothing to be done. Well, fine. I'll make sure to enjoy enough for Monica as well."

"Please recharge yourself fully."

"Yeah, I plan to."

In these past few days, Lin, Mina, and Aggus had become quite close with Monica. On the other hand, Arios...

"Tch."

He kept his distance from his companions and spent a lot of time alone.

Having a knight dispatched by the country at the center of the party instead of himself...

It wasn't a pleasant thought.

After all, this party was formed for his sake.

Thus, he should be at the center.

While thinking these childish thoughts, Monica's personality was overwhelmingly better than Arios's, and his companions grew closer to her.

All Arios could manage was to distance himself with a displeased look.

It was almost like a teenager's rebellious phase.

It was laughable, but he didn't have the luxury of realizing it.

――――――――――

Next day.

As Monica had mentioned, no new missions were given, and Arios and his group were granted a rare vacation.

Mina, accompanied by Lin, went shopping.

Aggus seemed to enjoy meals and also went to the town.

Arios, however, didn't feel like going outside and chose to relax in the room of the inn.

Seated on the sofa, he read a book.

"Excuse me."

"...Monica?"

During this peaceful time, an intruder appeared.

It was Monica.

She had said she had business to attend to, so why was she here?

Seeing Arios's puzzled expression, Monica smiled gently as if to answer that question.

"My business... is to have a conversation with Lord Arios."

"A conversation?"

"Perhaps it's my imagination, but I feel like you've been avoiding me, Lord Arios..."

"Correct. I've been avoiding you."

"Why?"

"I can't possibly get along with someone assigned to monitor me."

"I don't intend to monitor you, Lord Arios... But if you think that way, I can't help it. In reality, I've been instructed to report your actions to the king."

"Have'nt you seen anything? Do you really think I'd get along with someone like you?"

Arios waved his hand as if to say "leave"...

But Monica ignored it and took a seat next to Arios.

Then, she leaned her attractive body closer to Arios.

"I apologize. It seems I may have caused a misunderstanding."

"A misunderstanding?"

"Indeed, I might be giving the impression that I'm monitoring Lord Arios. However, the reason behind it is solely due to my duty... I personally don't wish for such a situation."

"Not sure about that."

"I hold great respect for Lord Arios. As a hero, I think you're truly remarkable. And... even as a person of the opposite sex, I find you attractive."

While pressing her body closer, Monica whispered sweet words.

Arios furrowed his brow, but...

His slightly irritated expression seemed to fade.

Although she was a dispatched monitor from the kingdom, putting that aside...

Monica was indeed a stunning beauty.

She possessed a personality that uplifted men and had an impeccable figure.

Arios didn't feel bad about her advances.

However, Arios wasn't foolish enough to bite so easily.

He distanced himself a bit.

"If you want to talk with me, I won't mind. But if you plan on discussing boring topics, I won't stick around."

"The topic I have in mind should capture Lord Arios's interest, but it's a complex issue."

"If you don't have anything interesting to say, you can leave the room right away. Or perhaps you have a topic so enticing that I'd be drawn to it? In that case, I might be willing to listen."

"I do have something."

Monica responded immediately.

Smiling sweetly, she began to speak.

"Rain Shroud."

"!?!"

"Wasn't he once a member of your party, Lord Arios?"

"How do you know about Rain..."

"Despite appearances, I'm quite the elite. I have many capable subordinates, so information gathering is one of my specialties."

"Why bring up that guy's story?"

"Could it be that you're interested?"

"..."

Arios didn't deny it.

In other words, that's exactly the case.

"Based on my investigation..."

Monica smiled as she began to tell the story about Rain.

Being referred to as the "Hero of Horizon."

Gathering five of the strongest species as companions, and even including a ghost in the party.

Elevating to B-rank by defeating demons.

Assisting the princess and establishing connections.

She conveyed the events that had unfolded.
However...

She didn't mention that Rain also possessed the blood of a god, just like Arios, making him eligible to be a hero.

If that were brought up, Arios would undoubtedly lose his temper.

Although that would be an interesting outcome...

But for now, it wasn't the right time.

Monica continued her explanation, except for that one detail.

"But... that useless guy has risen so high... It's unbelievable. Something like that couldn't possibly happen... Or rather, I won't allow it!"

Upon hearing about Rain's achievements, Arios trembled with frustration.

That good-for-nothing.

That loser.

And yet, he was accomplishing more than Arios... It was unbearable!

Despite being himself utterly self-centered he was trying to mock the hero of horizon, there was no one there to point that out for.

A dark emotion welled up within Arios.

"I agree with what Lord Arios says. Rain Shroud has certainly achieved numerous feats. However, he lacks a certain dignity. I believe the title 'Hero' suits Lord Arios better, who, unlike Rain Shroud, possesses the blood of a god."

"What a fool! A hero is me, and me alone! There's no way someone like him can be a hero! I won't accept it!"

"Yes, exactly. The only hero is you, Lord Arios. Please don't worry too much about a mere comparison. However, as things stand, the concern is that reality might end up agreeing with such comparisons..."

"What are you getting at?"

"Should we perhaps eliminate what stands in your way?"

The suggestion was so straightforward that Arios was taken aback.

Monica continued speaking as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

"Should we eliminate those who obstruct Lord Arios?"

"Can you really say that so casually? Aren't you monitoring me to prevent something like that? To avoid such things from happening?"

"That's part of my duty... However, I prioritize Lord Arios above all else. That's why I can't tolerate Rain Shroud, who troubles you."

"Hmph... Hahaha, what is this? You get it, huh?"

Encouraged by Monica's words, Arios burst into laughter.

He had thought she was an enemy... but it was different.

This woman was an ally.

Someone who would follow his lead.

Like Aggus, Mina, and Lin, she was a pawn he could manipulate as he pleased.

Realizing this, Arios's lips curved into a twisted smile.

"That's an interesting proposition. I'd like to hear more details. I assume you've already formulated a plan for the future?"

"We still need to work out the finer details, but the basic framework is in place."

"Fine. Let's do it your way then. Indeed, that Rain guy is an obstacle. I've wanted to do something about him for a while now. If it can be achieved, it's worth going along with your plan."

"Please call me Monica, not 'you'... Hehe."

TL Note- The evil resurges.


Comments

Popular Posts