I Was Reincarnated as a Commoner. I Can’t Stand Living Like This, so I’ll Become an Aristocrat!

Volume 1-: Children of the Commoners




Chapter 48-: Servant's Gossip




(TL By GUST)




Dinner proceeded in a peaceful mood from beginning to end, probably because the duke family was there. The food was a little inferior to what we ate at the mansion in the royal capital, but it was reasonably delicious and satisfying.



"Leon-kun, how about your room? Is there anything inconvenient?"

"Yes. It's a little disappointing that there's no bath, but it's not particularly inconvenient."

"A bath... then you should take a bath in my room."



 Picture? Do you mean to rent a bath in Richard's room? You can't do such a brazen thing!!



“No, I just had Roger prepare hot water and cleanse my body, so I’m fine. Thank you for your concern.”

"Is that so? That's fine, but..."

"Yes. It's just tonight, so there's no problem."

"That's good"



 Phew~, it seems like you managed to understand. There's no way I can calmly take a bath in Richard's room.

 After that, Mr. Richard seems to have moved on to talking about the finances of this city with Mr. Morgan.



 I'm a little tired, so can I rest first? It looks like Mr. Richard will continue to talk for a long time. I don't really want to be in the same space as Mr. Morgan.

 When I was thinking that, Catherine-sama and Frederick-sama returned to the room first, so I decided to follow them back to the room.

"I'm tired from the trip, so I'll go back to my room first."

"Oh, Leon-kun, see you tomorrow."

"Yes. Richard-sama, please take a good rest."



 After saying that, he left the dining room. Somehow, being in this mansion makes me feel restless and tired. After all, I am afraid of malice from others. Once again, I realized just how good people were until now.



 Go back to your room and change into your night clothes.

 Phew, I think I should go to sleep now.



“Leon-sama, would you like some tea?”

"Hmm, I'm tired today. I'm going to sleep now."

"I'm sorry. Then I'll leave as well."

"Yeah. Roger, thank you as always."



 Realizing that Roger, who sincerely serves me as a commoner, is a truly grateful existence, I couldn't help but thank him.

 Then Roger's face broke down just a little.

“Serving Leon-sama is my job.”



 I'm not very good with words. Well, it's Roger, so I don't care anymore.

 But really, I'm grateful that you serve me without a single disgusting face.





 After Roger left the room, I lay down on the bed, but I was surprised that there were nobles who looked down on me just for being a commoner, so I couldn't sleep for some reason.

 After all, when I actually met him, it was shocking to see the difference in social status.



 While I was laying around on the bed thinking about such things, I heard someone's voice outside.

 Are you a servant? It's a young woman's voice, so it might be a new maid.



 Somehow I was curious about the content of the story, so I gathered magic into my ears and strengthened my hearing. If you use body-strengthening magic on your ears, your hearing will improve a little. It's just a little bit, so it's not very convenient, but it's effective at times like this.


Ooh... now I can hear it.



“I was afraid that the people of the duke would find out.”

“Me too.

"Yes, but I don't know what Morgan is thinking about selling guest room furniture."

"That's... I don't want you to tell anyone, but it seems that you are using the money you sold the furniture yourself."

"e!?"

"You're loud!"

"I-I'm sorry. Is it more true than that?"

"Yes, there is a servant who heard Mr. Morgan and the butler talking."

“So the butler is also a guru?”

"No, according to the story, the butler seems to have stopped. We commoners can't go against Master Morgan."

"That's right."



 I could hear it up to that point, but it went farther away and I couldn't hear it anymore.



 I heard something amazing...

 I was wondering if you couldn't lend me the room because you were harassing me, but is there such a reason?


Morgan is embezzling this town's money. Are you saying that selling furniture is like cutting taxes?

 how do you do that 

 I don't really understand, but it's like reporting less harvest and embezzling the difference. It's a crime anyway.

 And Mr. Morgan isn't even competent as a deputy. It's more harmful than effective.



 You should report this to Richard.

 I decided to call Roger to see if I could meet Richard-sama. Normally I would have rung the bell, but since I might not be able to hear it from this room, I was supposed to knock on the wall where Roger's room was.

 knock Knock. A few seconds after I knocked, Roger came into the room. Hurry up!



“Leon-sama, what happened?”

“There is something I want to talk to Richard about, but is it possible to meet him now?”

“I think it would be rude to start now, but is it okay to do it tomorrow?”

"Yeah, I think you should tell them as soon as possible."

"I'm sorry. I'm going to ask if I can meet you, so Leon-sama, please wait here."

"all right"



 After saying that, Roger left the room. If he can't meet, he will tell tomorrow, but maybe sooner is better.

 A few minutes later he returned to his room.



“Leon-sama, it seems that you would like to meet with us.

"Yeah. Let's go now."

"Understood"



 While feeling a little nervous, I followed Roger to Richard's room.



knock Knock.



"Leon-sama was here."



 When Roger said so, Richard-sama's attendant opened the door. Richard-sama sat on the sofa and seemed to be waiting for me.



"Dear Richard, I am sorry for this time. Thank you for your time."

"No, it's totally fine, don't worry about it. So, what happened to come to see you at this time?"

“Yes.



 After saying that, I turned my attention to the servants and guards in this room.



"Yeah... everyone please step back a little."



 When Richard says so, everyone goes down as they know. I always think that the people who work in the Duke's household are of a high level.



"So what are you talking about?"

"Yes. I'm talking about Mr. Morgan..."



 From there, I talked about the rumors I heard earlier and my speculation.

 I decided to keep silent for the time being about looking down on the commoners. As a noble, there is a possibility that there is no particular problem.



 After listening to all of my stories, Richard-sama made a difficult face and lost his mind.

 After a while, he slowly opened his mouth.



"Leon-kun, can you please don't tell anyone else about this for the time being? I will think about the countermeasures firmly. After holding down the actual evidence, I asked Morgan to stop being the governor, and I will be charged with the crime in the royal capital. will be taken away.”



In order to be charged with a crime, it seems that you need proof that you actually embezzled money, so you have to be a little careful.

 First of all, I will investigate the place where the furniture was sold, and after that, I will investigate the other sins.

 For the time being, it should be fine if you leave it to Richard-sama.



“Thanks to Leon-kun for helping me out this time, I am grateful.



 Mr. Richard seems to be blaming himself for not seeing Mr. Morgan's true nature.

 But it's hard to see through a person's true nature. At first, I was sincere, but as I work, I may be swept away by my greed.



“Certainly, Richard-sama may be responsible, but it is difficult to see through a person’s true nature, so I think it is important to have a system that prevents the magistrate from doing whatever he pleases.”



 When I said that, Richard seemed a little interested.



"Hmm. For example, what kind of mechanism would be good?"



 Oh my God... Mr. Richard has become interested.

 For example, how would it work? I'm no expert on that sort of thing. I shouldn't have said it so easily!

 Hmmm…………



"That's right. For example, how about dispersing power? Divide the agricultural district into several areas, decide the chief among them, and have the chief of that district submit the harvest amount. If you leave it in two places in the Duke's mansion, you won't be able to deceive it."



 Is this okay? I said it with a pretty good idea, but...

 Or is this already being done?





"There certainly seems to be room for consideration. Let's discuss it with Christophe."





 Oh, surprisingly good impression? I was relieved and let out a sigh of relief.






"Then leave Morgan to me."



"Yes. I don't have the right to interfere. It's just that the rumors I heard weren't something I could ignore."





 When I said that with a wry smile, Richard-sama answered with a wry smile.






"Far from healing the fatigue of your trip, I'm sorry I made you tired. Please go back to your room and rest."




"Yes. Excuse me."






 Right after that, Richard called the servant back, and I returned to my room with Roger.



 I was able to sleep soundly after talking to Richard-sama.





Comments

Popular Posts