The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet
"But perhaps that's because Mina-san was being deceived."
"Being deceived...?"
Mina had never even considered such a possibility.
Her eyes widened in surprise.
"Could you tell me in detail how Reez and Monica talked about peace between humans and demons?"
"Y-Yes... I don't mind."
Though somewhat confused, Mina readily gave us the information she had.
According to her, Reez was concerned about the future of the demons.
She believed that demons should join hands with humans, and although she was in the minority, she continued working among the demons.
As a first step toward that goal, she had protected Arios and the other former Heroes.
She wanted to have Arios and the others act as intermediaries so that she could negotiate with humanity.
After hearing all of this...
"Sigh..."
I couldn't help but let out a sigh.
"W-What is that reaction supposed to mean? I've told you everything without hiding anything. I haven't lied."
"No, I don't think you're lying, Mina. It's probably all true."
For better or worse, Mina wasn't the type who could lie.
Well... she also had a tendency to believe incorrect information was the truth, which was the problem.
"Don't you think there's something strange about that story?"
"Huh?"
"Even if Reez wants peace, she's supposedly part of a minority, right? So how can someone in that position influence the future of the demons?"
"Th-That..."
"If she truly wants peace, then shouldn't she first convince her own people? Even if she can't get everyone on her side, she'd need to win over nearly half of them. Only then could she actually begin working toward peace."
"..."
"Besides... there's something different from what I've heard."
"Huh?"
"I've also spoken briefly with demons who want that kind of peace."
I told Mina about the information I had obtained after traveling to the Western Continent.
I couldn't reveal everything...
But I pointed out the contradictions between what I knew and what she had just told me.
"The demons are divided into several factions, and one of the Four Heavenly Kings is part of the moderate faction...? But... Reez-san never said anything like that..."
"There's a possibility that the information I obtained is wrong. So I can't say for certain that we're the ones who are right... But people naturally believe the information they've obtained themselves, don't they? From my perspective, though, your story just doesn't make sense, Mina."
"Th-That..."
If Mina had possessed absolute confidence in what she believed, she wouldn't have been shaken by what I said.
But what if there had been even the slightest sense of unease?
What if she had already harbored even a little suspicion toward Reez and Monica?
That unease could become a crack.
And that crack could turn into doubt.
"And the reason I absolutely can't trust Reez and Monica is because of what happened with Lin."
"Lin...? What about her? Lin was killed by you and the others, wasn't she?"
"I won't deny that we killed Lin. But that's because Lin had fallen into demonhood."
"Wha...!?"
As I'd expected, apparently that information had never been conveyed to her.
As though such a thing were impossible, Mina's eyes widened and her body trembled in shock.
"Lin... became a demon...? No... That can't... That can't be..."
"Monica was the one who did it."
"!"
Mina was so shocked that she seemed unable to speak anymore.
"Even if you ask me to show you proof, I don't have any... But I saw it with my own eyes. Monica drove a strange, ominous staff into Lin, and as a result, she became a demon."
"..."
"After becoming a demon, Lin went on a rampage as if she intended to destroy everything... So I killed her."
I didn't use vague words like defeated.
Or dealt with.
I deliberately used the word killed.
That was the least I could do, in my own way, to take responsibility for it.
"There's plenty more, but... that's enough for now."
"..."
"What will you do now, Mina? Which side will you believe?"
"I... I..."
Mina's eyes were vacant.
Everything she had believed in until now was collapsing around her...
She looked completely lost, as though she no longer knew what she could rely on.
"Was I... wrong...?"
No one could answer that question.
"...Hey, Mina-san."
Just when I thought that, Chiffon quietly stepped forward.
"I told you before, but I was ordered to hunt down you and the rest of the former Hero party."
"H-Hunt us down...? Th-That's impossible... We were doing it for the sake of the world..."
"Yeah. I don't really know what the others were thinking... But I think Mina-san genuinely believed that was what she was doing. You really did act for that reason. But... you took the wrong path. You went about it the wrong way."
"Ugh..."
"But I don't think that means you can't start over."
Chiffon smiled gently...
And held out her hand toward Mina.
"Maybe you've done things that you can never take back. Maybe you'll never be able to atone for them, even if you spend the rest of your life trying. But I think you can still return to the right path. It's not too late. I think you can start over, even now."
"...Chiffon-san..."
"So, why don't you try working hard together with us?"
"..."
Mina looked conflicted as she stared at Chiffon's hand.
She gazed at it for a long time, then slowly reached out her own hand...
But she seemed unable to take that final step, and never actually took Chiffon's hand.
"I... I still don't know what I should do..."
"Yeah, I understand. I don't think you can sort out your feelings right away, so that's understandable. For now, you should take your time and think about it."
"Is... is that really okay...?"
"It's okay. I'd be happier if you became our companion rather than if we had to hunt you down."
"!"
Mina couldn't bring herself to say anything more.
She simply lowered her head.
Her shoulders were trembling slightly.

Comments
Post a Comment