Evil Avalon


Chapter 136 Weakest Mask

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)


"Yaaahhh!!!"

With a shout, Kaworu took a large step forward, aiming to unleash a powerful downward swing that would cut through the air. However, despite Kaworu stepping forward after seeing the attack, Kurosaki managed to reach her with her sword before Kaworu could strike. It was what they call "sente no saki" - anticipating the opponent's move.

Kurosaki's strike didn't land on Kaworu's vulnerable torso. Just before Kaworu swung down, she swiftly tilted her sword, narrowly avoiding the strike, then leaped backward to widen the distance, readying her sword once more.

"It seems you have the mindset of kendo. However—"

"Yes, the attack just now was adjusted to my level. Besides, if I had been counterattacked, I wouldn't have escaped the disadvantage."

She admitted her disadvantage gracefully, but in reality, much had happened in that moment.

When Kaworu escaped from the disadvantageous close quarters, Kurosaki had already shifted her center of gravity and entered a counter-attack mode. But Kaworu had anticipated this and tempted her with a risky counter, so Kurosaki deliberately chose not to take the bait and opted to reset instead.

From the initial downward swing to tempting a counter in just over a second, there was so much maneuvering and psychological warfare in that brief moment. It was a maneuvering unique to interpersonal combat, not found in battles against monsters.

Tenma seemed to have observed the entire exchange and showed interest while adjusting the rubber sword at various angles.

"That kid's pretty good, huh? But if she had continued like that, wouldn't Kurosaki have had the advantage after all?"

"Yeah, probably. But I wonder if Kaworu learned a lot from Kurosaki-san."

In that instant, Kurosaki demonstrated various techniques. The "teleportation" technique known as "shukuchi" from ancient martial arts, incorporating body techniques into swordsmanship. Even though it was adjusted to Kaworu's level, Kurosaki had significantly better dynamic visual acuity and rich experience in interpersonal combat, so if it had turned into a counter battle, Kaworu would have been forced into a difficult fight.

Nevertheless, despite acknowledging the opponent's strength, Kaworu continued to strive for victory until the end. Kurosaki must have been impressed by her determination and drive—

And that's that.

Today, I participated in a practice session led by Satsuki and Lisa to polish my swordsmanship, but that was just a front. The real aim was to introduce Tenma-san to Akagi-kun in a "good" way for the curse-breaking event.

Kurosaki had been briefed on the procedures and flow of the curse-breaking. At first, she had eyed me with the gaze of a scammer, but apparently she had some idea about the boss of the curse-breaking event and had dramatically furrowed her usually composed face. From that, it seemed she believed in the credibility of my story.

However, my original credibility was zero. Not only that, I was seen as a miscreant aiming for her important master, so she didn't believe everything I said. Despite being interrogated and glared at repeatedly, I managed to somehow gain her consent to cooperate.

Now the question was how to arrange for Tenma-san and Akagi-kun to meet. If we kept hoping for a chance encounter like in a dungeon story, the event wouldn't progress, so we needed to set it up ourselves. Just as I was pondering if there was a good method, Kurosaki predictably activated her surprisingly worrying nature.

I wonder if the curse-breaking event will go as planned, what kind of person Akagi is, what kind of strength the Akagi party has, and if I can really entrust the master to him. She insisted on seeing and confirming everything with her own eyes.

In that case, I thought it would be a good idea to use the practice session held by Satsuki and others, and as a side note, I asked if she could give some instruction as well. To my surprise, she readily agreed, and—here we are now.

Kurosaki had greatly strengthened Akagi-kun in DunEx, bringing out his individual strengths. Training with someone as skilled as Kurosaki not only allowed for the accumulation of technique and interpersonal experience but also earned experience points much more efficiently than regular hunting.

However, the experience point boost only lasted about a month. Any longer and you'd get used to it. Ideally, it would be most efficient to raise your level to around 12, where experience points are difficult to earn, before receiving instruction, but my priorities right now are different.

As I contemplated these things with Tenma-san, Kaworu, once again closing the distance, engaged in a match.

She unleashed flowing slashes interspersed with subtle feints, keeping her distance and readying for a counter even after finishing her attack—yet not a single blow landed. That maid wasn't just any maid; she was a formidable opponent whom even I, at my current level, would find difficult to defeat. Even if she restrained her strength, the chance of victory was practically zero. Any ordinary adventurer wouldn't miss even the slightest imbalance in the unseen balance and would come back with a precise roundhouse kick while grasping the skirt like she does.

Kaworu, displaying an expression of anguish as she was blown away, immediately began to demonstrate the potential of a true DunEx heroine.

"Kah... t-this isn't over yet!"

"Hmm... Even if it's imitation, you've managed to incorporate the shukuchi. I may have underestimated you a little."

Having felt firsthand that the same attacks and feints wouldn't work, Kaworu imitated the shukuchi Kurosaki had shown earlier and slashed in. She had a special talent for absorbing techniques like a sponge and raising her limits at the last moment. This was why DunEx heroines were truly remarkable.

As the combat escalated to almost real battle levels, discussions among Akagi-kun, Mashima-kun, and others who had stopped their swordplay began. Watching them with a sidelong glance, I couldn't help but be impressed.

"Is this what 'shukuchi' feels like—Whoa!"

"Yeah. It makes your initial movements faster and makes it harder for the opponent to read your movements. It's a handy technique."

As I tried out the shukuchi, I swiftly parried the rubber sword that was swung at me and, just like Kurosaki did earlier, I unleashed a slow roundhouse kick as a counter—however, Tenma-san continued to string together slashes while rotating slowly, so I backed off without forcing anything and readied myself again.

"But even moving slowly like this is good practice, huh? Maybe it's because I'm sparring with Narumi-kun?"

"When you swing slowly, you can't hide your sword movements. There's a lot to learn by taking things slowly, even in your tactics."

Against a truly strong opponent, it's difficult to win even if you fight in slow motion. While you might be able to deceive with fast movements, when it's slow, it's like playing chess and being cornered. Even at level 1, we carefully confirm our swordplay with slow movements. But still—

(Tenma-san really is amazing.)

Initially thrown off by my erratic movements, she immediately corrected herself and devised countermeasures. She even incorporated the shukuchi she had seen a few times into her own tactics.

Her remarkable ability to absorb techniques, high latent potential, and genius-like combat sense were all awe-inspiring. It was no wonder; the girl in front of me was indeed a genuine DunEx heroine, proving herself to be just as formidable as Kaworu.

Even in this swordplay, I found there was much to learn despite being the one teaching. Engaging with Tenma-san in swordplay gradually sharpened my senses, making me feel like I could reach even higher. Perhaps there was something about DunEx heroines that elevated the player.

In the future, it might be better to increase the speed a bit and engage in more practical training. The ideal would be for Tenma-san to receive strict training from Kurosaki-san as well, but that maid wouldn't lift a finger against Tenma-san, even it for her master—so I was considering various plans. As I was pondering, I noticed Mashima-kun gesturing from the corner of my eye. What could it be?

I asked Tenma-san for a break and asked him what it was about, he seemed oddly irritated.

"(Hey. Why are you, of all people, sparring with Tenma-sama?)"

"(...Huh?)"

Indeed, that's right. I was supposed to set up a meeting between Akagi-kun and Tenma-san during this practice session. I got carried away and focused on the practice, didn't I?

Just as I was about to thank him for making me aware of it, Mashima-kun started intimidating me, saying things like, 'Commoners should know their place,' 'Tenma-sama is a precious individual,' 'If you know each other, then introduce me.' It seems like he wants to get closer to Tenma-san.

'What are they talking about? This is the first time practice has been this enjoyable for me. I can't wait for more... Huh?'

"Tenma-sama! It is unacceptable for someone as esteemed as you to lower yourself to the level of 'the weakest.' It is a terribly disrespectful mistake. I apologize profusely... Though it may not suffice as an apology, would you be willing to dance a waltz with me? It might offer more of a challenge than practicing with that guy."

With a smile, Mashima-kun bows his head, trembling as he kneels on the ground, apologizing, and expressing his desire for a waltz. Although Tenma-san looks puzzled, not understanding what he's saying, she looks at me as if asking for a translation, but basically, he's saying he wants to form a pair.

It seems that it's within the rules of this practice session to change partners several times, and Mashima-kun seems to be feeling out of place within the class. It might be good to experience something different for once. So, I nod to Tenma-san, sending her a message saying, 'Please accept.'

Mashima-kun boasts that he is much stronger than that guy which is me, But Tenma-san skeptically tilts her head, and then looks at her wrist terminal to browse through some data.

'Hmm, Level 6... Are you really stronger than Narumi-kun? Could it be that you're hiding something?'

"I will do my utmost to borrow your chest! Tenma-sama!"

'Well then... Alright, bring it on?'

With a bow, Mashima-kun energetically brandishes his rubber sword, and as his party members gather, cheers erupt. They discuss things like showing the difference between him and me, how effective the top E-class fighter will be against the second-best in the grade, and so on. However, Tenma-san is in a league of her own. At this point, none of the E-class students would stand a chance against her.

Confidently, Mashima-kun strikes, but Tenma-san swiftly dodges using the technique she learned earlier, and effortlessly strikes his exposed side with the rubber sword. Mashima-kun, somewhat dumbfounded, laughs awkwardly, readies himself again, but without clashing swords three times, he ends up receiving a clean blow.

'...Are you really stronger than Narumi-kun?'

"This is... harsh... I'm still not accustomed to it. Could you please go easy on me for a little while longer, like you did with that guy?"

'...Go easy?'

Although Tenma-san was moving at about Level 6 speed to match Mashima-kun, it was no contest at all. Mashima-kun requests that she lower her strength to around Level 1, like when she was practicing with me. However, that wasn't about holding back.

The reason for moving so slowly was mainly to conceal my level, but even in slow motion, it would be sufficient for practicing techniques. I wanted to teach Tenma-san this and also enable Akagi-kun, who has a different level, to practice with her. Mashima-kun, who is underestimating me, probably doesn't have the capacity to realize that.

(Well, I'm also at fault for concealing my abilities.)

I'm aware of being called the weakest and being ridiculed by my classmates. Of course, I'm not doing this voluntarily. It's not pleasant to be ridiculed, and being ignored hurts a little. But it's not that big of a deal.

Lisa, as a player, took the stage to pull Akagi-kun and Pink-chan up and took on the role of correcting the trajectory of the story. If there were malicious players, she might become a target and be killed, making it a dangerous role.

That's why I hide behind the mask of the weakest and keep a vigilant eye. If there are malicious players, I must launch a fatal preemptive strike and bring fear and death. In achieving that goal, the weakest position is quite convenient. It's to the point where even Tsukishima hasn't paid attention to me.

But there are also people who don't approve of directing malice towards me.

"You know, can someone as weak as you really afford to ridicule Narumi-kun? If you're that weak, I think you should be more humble."

"What do you mean, Tenma-sama... Are you saying that I'm weaker than that guy?"

Tenma-san delivers a scolding while placing her hand on her hip. She not only knows my strength but also trusts me as a companion whom she can rely on. If someone like Mashima ridicules me, it's even more frustrating and infuriating for her than it is for me.

Kaworu is the same. She worries about me being used as a pack mule without regard for appearances. If I were pushed into irrational situations, Kaworu, with her strong sense of justice, would probably find unable to forgive herself.

"Hey, Butao, let's settle this right now! I'll make you realize your place!"

"The one who doesn't know his place is you, Makishima! Don't use Souta as a tool to satisfy your own strength!"

Satsuki, wielding a large staff, interrupts Makishima, her face flushed with anger and her braids standing on end. Though faint, an aura emanates from her, surprising Makishima's party with its intensity.

I've told Satsuki the reason for not showing my strength, but I recall her saying she wished I'd join her in leading the class against injustice. She's also a kind-hearted girl who faces injustice head-on, and she considers me an important friend. I should have considered their feelings a little more.

Now, whether to beat Makishima to a pulp right here—no, I have no such intention. Rather, I feel sympathetic. If he can't show his best to the person of his admiration, Tenma, and is considered weaker than the guy he thought was the weakest, he'd be at a loss.

But there's no need to be disheartened. From what I've seen, Makishima may not have the innate talent of Kaworu or Tenma, but that's normal. I don't possess such talents either. But that doesn't mean I can't become strong. The most important factor in becoming strong in this world isn't talent but the thirst for strength. That's what ultimately elevates oneself to greater heights. Makishima, who has a strong sense of this, I think, will become strong.

In any case, though strength is everything in an adventurer school, I've realized that being the weakest not only makes me less noticeable but also hurts the people dear to me. Instead of being the weakest, I should have at least aimed for the class average. Makishima is in a sense my victim too, so I'd like to settle this amicably... Well, what should I do?

"Well, how about I step in and be Tenma's partner for a while? I think it's a good idea."

"Hmm, what? you?"

Stepping into the center without reading the mood, with a refreshing smile, is the fiery-haired—Yuuma Akagi. I want to retort about what's good about his idea to face Tenma, but indeed, it might be a good idea to get through this situation for my original goal. Tenma, who had entrusted her rubber sword to Kurosaki and had her armor polished, also shows interest in the new intruder.

"I'm Akagi Yuuma. I'm still level 6, but I intend to become the 'strongest' in this school someday."

"The strongest? ...You?"

Despite being broken by Kariya, bullied by the D-class, and beaten up by the Second Swordsmanship Club, Yuuma Akagi declares himself "the strongest" without giving up, surpassing even Kaworu and Tenma in talent, relentlessly seeking strength, and being extremely handsome. Truly an extraordinary main character.

Tenma seems to be looking at Akagi from head to toe, as if saying, "What are you talking about?" But come to think of it, I feel like we had a similar exchange at the beginning of the game. Perhaps some kind of narrative force is at work here.

Nearby, Makishima is glaring at me, but that can wait. Because behind him is a maid glaring at me with an even fiercer expression. She's silently urging me to settle things properly.

Of course, that's exactly why I'm here. This is the moment of truth.


TL Note- So Souta is afraid of being sniped by another player but I also think he should aim for the average hiearcy in class to hide better.

Next


Comments

  1. Thanks for the chapter, this chapter is quite fast to read

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long will the author hide MC?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this novel but the mc. Is to damn lowkey. So lowkey that even ant have much more present than him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not being lowkey it's just the author giving everyone the inteligence of a goblin.

      Delete
    2. Seriously, at least Kaoru finally noticing the changes. Still not a fan of her though. The early chapters cemented that and her mindset. Not that great and the Vol 1 Prologue of the LN makes it even more eerie and foreboding.

      Delete
  4. What volume is this chapter in? (Chapter 136 The weakest mask), only 2 volumes have been released and the next one will not be released until June 7, 2024. I got the previous two volumes but I don't know where this chapter is.
    Thanks for the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What volume is this chapter in? (Chapter 136 The weakest mask) , only 2 volumes have been released and the next one will not be released until June 7, 2024. I got the previous two volumes but I don't know where this chapter is, so I want to start reading from this point and I want to know what page it is on and what volume.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts