The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 228: The test begins

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)

Enjoying sightseeing in the royal capital...

After getting plenty of rest, the day of the exam arrived.

The exam venue is a ruin located a few hours' walk from the royal capital.

It's said to date back to a distant past, over 200 years ago.

Despite enduring rain and wind over the course of at least 200 years...

The ruins have not deteriorated at all.

According to one theory, it's said to be a fortress built by the strongest species.

Currently, the ruins are used as a fortress in times of crisis.

In the past, during a war with the Demon Lord, when the outskirts of the royal capital became a battlefield...

People took refuge in the ruins and repelled the enemy.

The name of the ruins is the "Keystone of the Earth."

That's the venue for this exam.

"Oh, there are so many people!"

The square in front of the ruins... that's where everyone was supposed to gather.

Numerous adventurers had gathered there.

At a glance, it was more than a hundred people.

Surely, it didn't reach 150.

"Are all these adventurers of B-rank...? It's quite a spectacular view in a way."

"Huh? Maybe not everyone is close friends since they have their own companions?"

"Oh, that makes sense."

This time, the exam can be taken with the whole party.

Just like me, it's natural to bring along companions.

"Are they going to become our rivals?"

"I don't think so. I haven't heard anything about a limited number of people becoming A-rank... It feels more like those who don't meet certain criteria will be eliminated rather than competing."

"I see. Well, that's a relief, but it also sounds troublesome."

Instead of a competitive system, if it's elimination-based, each party will likely be evaluated individually.

Depending on the content of the exam, it might take quite some time.

If it's a sifting process for the entire group, some might be eliminated all at once...

Well, it's hard to say for sure.

Speculating about it won't help much.

Regardless of what kind of exam is prepared, it's all about approaching it in the best condition.

"Alright, pay attention."

Claps were heard.

When I turned around... Cell was there.

"I am  Cell, an A-rank adventurer who will serve as the examiner. Nice to meet you."

I didn't expect  Cell  to be the examiner...

The connection she mentioned the other day must have been about this.

Not only Cell, but there were also about ten other individuals who seemed to be adventurers.

They're probably all examiners.

Among them,  Cell  was chosen to give the greeting...

Is her status within the guild higher than I thought?

"Wow,  Cell is quite impressive."

Tina murmured what seemed to be on her mind.

Following that, Nina tilted her head.

"But... where's Axe? I wonder what happened?"

"Come to think of it, you're right. Those two are always together..."

"Maybe they had a fight? Or maybe Axe finally got dumped?"

Let's not entertain those ideas, they're not nice.

But...

As they pointed out, it's indeed mysterious.

It's hard to imagine Axe being away from Cell.

And if they're in the same party, they should be standing in the same place...

"Each of you will earn the title of A-rank when you challenge countless tests and clear them all. I'll inform you about the content of the exams as they come. How many you need to clear? That's a secret. So, be careful with your pace distribution."

Not knowing the goal is quite tricky.

As  Cell  said, managing the pace is important, but even more than that, having a strong mindset is required.

Enduring an endurance race with an uncertain finish can be mentally exhausting.

Some might break down along the way.

"Well then, let's proceed with the first test right away... But before that, let me introduce our special guests."

Special guests?

Could it be what the old man at the stall mentioned earlier...

"I think everyone knows them, but... it's Hero Arios."

"As expected."

During  Cell 's introduction, Arios appeared from the tent set up in the back.

My unpleasant premonition came true.

Furthermore, Aggus, Lin, and Mina followed...

"Huh?"

Lastly, an unfamiliar woman appeared.

She's dressed like a knight, but who could she be?

"For this occasion, Hero... Arios and the others will also participate as examiners. It won't make the criteria any more strict, but do your best and keep that in mind."

"Hey there. I'm Arios, whom you've just been introduced to. You could say I'm a Hero for simplicity. I have a little connection, and that's how I ended up serving as an examiner here with my comrades. I'm expecting great efforts from all of you. Please live up to spirits of adventures."

Arios greeted with a refreshing smile...

Upon seeing him, the other adventurers trembled with excitement.

To receive encouragement from the Hero everyone admires...

To have the Hero serve as an examiner...

How lucky is that?

There's no way I can fail this exam.

I have to perform well and show the good sides of a Hero.

... That's how everyone was pumped up.

"Meow... So pompous and annoying. Why is he so casually there? Didn't he get scolded?."

"That should be the case..."

From the conversation with Sarya-sama... I heard that Arios was called to the royal castle due to the incident with Iris and was reprimanded.


However, I haven't asked what kind of punishment it was, and I haven't heard that his qualifications as a Hero were revoked.

Is it because of his position as a Hero that the king couldn't reprimand him?

Or did Arios change his ways after receiving the punishment?

"It's not like that."

Kanade was the first to deny it.

The others agreed as well.

"Being an examiner might be the punishment."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Mild offenders are sometimes ordered to do community service... like volunteering and such. So, maybe Arios is being assigned to various tasks like that. If you look closely, there's one unfamiliar person added as well... Perhaps they're playing a supervisory role?"

"That's still unpleasant..."

"I've totally lost my motivation..."

"Can I go back?"

"Or, can I blow him away with magic? Just kidding."

Everyone had lost their motivation.

Well, it's inevitable.

Even Arios' encouragement wouldn't have a positive effect.

There's no way motivation would suddenly appear.

"Oh, I see."

Tina made a thinking gesture, and after a moment, she nodded with a satisfied expression and lightly clapped her hands.

"What's wrong?"

"It's nothing. I was thinking about why Axe isn't here... If that Hero appeared, I guess I'd understand."

"Huh?"

"Isn't Axe, for better or worse, a completely honest guy? After what happened before, he probably doesn't want to stand on the same stage. In that sense, Cell is more mature. She might have various thoughts, but she's enduring it, so to speak."

"I see."

It was a precise explanation.

Probably, as Tina suggested, Axe, who harbors some resentment toward Arios, temporarily left the scene because he didn't want to be on the same stage.

I can understand the feeling.

After what happened...

If they were together, knowing Axe, he might end up hitting him.

"Ha-ha!"

Suddenly, Arios looked our way.

He had a provocative smile on his face.

"Hey, Rain. I bet that guy is planning something, right?"

"Should we take care of him now?"

I almost found myself agreeing without thinking.

"You can't do that. If you do, Sora and the others will be seen as the bad guys."

"We might know about the Hero's misdeeds, but the people here probably don't. At this point, his reputation as a Hero is still higher than his wrongdoings."

"If we lay a hand on the Hero, what will happen? We might even be disqualified without us doing anything."

"Although if it comes to that, we might have to face everyone here."

"N-No way. I wasn't seriously suggesting it."

"It's a joke, a joke."

Probably, Kanade and Tania were serious, though.

"We can't completely dismiss the possibility that he's up to something... But that doesn't mean we can just quit the exam here. Let's be cautious enough."

"Yeah, got it!"

"Let's do our best."

There's a high chance that Arios is planning something.

It's almost too convenient to run into him here.

Still, I can't just run away from this situation...

Even if he's scheming something, I have to face it head-on.

"Well then, let's start the exam."

After finishing his greeting, Arios moved to the back...

In his place, Cell once again stepped forward.

Finally, it's about to begin.

What kind of exam awaits us?

I felt nervous, but also a little excited.

Surprisingly, I was fairly calm.

I guess it's because everyone's here?

If this were the type of exam I had to take alone, I might have been full of anxiety.

Yeah, I'll be fine.

As long as I'm with everyone, I can overcome anything.

Even this exam, I'll pass it with flying colors.

"The first test is... a marathon."

TL Note- The hero and devil are plotting against the mc....may the plot armour be with him.


Comments

Popular Posts