The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 215 B Rank

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)


Heading towards the guild after being called by Natalie.

Since going alone would be boring, Tania is accompanying me.

We walk through the town side by side...

"...Hey, Tania?"

"What is it?"

"Doesn't it feel like there's some distance between us?"

Between Tania and me, there's about the distance of one person.

Normally, we walk with our shoulders together, but...

"I-It's just your imagination, right?"

"I don't think so..."

"I-It's not like I'm embarrassed to be by Rain's side or anything, don't get the wrong idea! It's not like that at all!"

I'm told something I don't really understand.

Tania blushes and looks away briefly.

Her tail sways restlessly.

Is she embarrassed? Maybe?

Since we spend time together all the time, I somehow can understand Tania's emotions.

But I don't know what she's embarrassed about. I haven't done anything, right?

"W-Wait, Rain... Don't stare at me like that."

"Huh? Is it not okay?"

"W-Well, of course not. Staring at a girl like that is bad manners."

Come to think of it, that's true.

"Sorry. I just noticed something seemed off with you, Tania."

Since she doesn't seem to be feeling unwell or anything, she's probably fine.

If I fuss over her too much, she might find it annoying.

"Ugh... Just because I asked you not to stare doesn't mean you should look away immediately... I-If you want to look at me, just say so..."

"What's wrong, Tania?"

Tania stops and mutters something in the back.

"N-Nothing."

"Come on, let's keep going. At this pace, it'll be noon soon."

"Ugh... You're always so oblivious, just pay more attention to your surroundings."

"What do you mean?"

"Rain, think for yourself, please."

For some reason, she's angry at me.

It's unreasonable...

――――――――――

"Congratulations♪"

When I arrived at the guild, I was greeted by Natalie's smiling face.

Even though she congratulated me, I had no idea what it was for.

Actually, this pattern feels familiar... somewhere...?

"I am pleased to announce that Shroud-san's adventurer rank has been raised to B-rank."

"Huh? B-rank?"

"Yes. Recently, Shroud-san has successfully resolved several major incidents in a row."

Natalie spoke joyfully as if it were about herself.

"First, it was the subjugation of the demon that appeared in Pagos."

"That was..."

I didn't defeat Iris because I wanted to. It was an outcome I didn't desire.

But it seemed that people around me perceived it differently...

The incident with Iris was credited to me as something I solved.

"I was actually in conflict with other adventurers at that time..."

"Regarding that matter, an explanation has already been given, and it has been resolved, right? Shroud-san noticed the trap set by the demon. Judging that there was no time to explain, you intentionally engaged in battle to stop the others. If the expedition team had entered the ruins as it was, who knows what might have happened..."

"Well, somehow it ended up being seen that way."

In reality, it was my arbitrary decision...

The circumstances somehow fell into place, leading to that judgment.

"Then, there was the recent dragon attack incident. Thanks to Shroud-san, we were able to prevent serious damage and resolve the incident. Ah, of course, it's also thanks to Tania. All of us at the Adventurer Guild are grateful."

"W-Well... It was just a whim, you know? You don't have to thank us that much."

Tania blushed.

"Both achievements are remarkable. Therefore, we, the Adventurer Guild, have decided to promote Shroud-san to B-rank. Congratulations!"

"..."

"Huh? Aren't you happy? It's B-rank, B-rank. With a higher rank, you'll receive more requests from high-level adventurers and enjoy various privileges. For example, you'll be exempt from paying bridge tolls."

"It's not that I'm not happy, but..."

I felt somewhat conflicted.

The dragon attack incident aside...

With the Iris incident, I couldn't achieve the result I wanted.

Yet, they're celebrating...

"Hey..."

"Ouch!"

Tania lightly hit me on the head.

"Rain, you're thinking too much unnecessary stuff again, aren't you?"

"Unnecessary stuff, you say..."

Tania insisted.

"I can understand Rain's feelings, unable to simply be happy. I've been with you, listening to what you've been thinking."

"..."

"But you know, you can't change the past. You can't undo what has happened."

"That's true..."

"So, look forward. If you keep looking back forever, someday you'll lose your way and stumble. So, walk forward."

"..."

"I'm not telling you to forget. Just keep it in mind. That's enough, okay?"

"Yeah, you're right."

Tania's words sank deep into my heart.

The unease I carried in my chest seemed to fade slightly.

"Thank you, Tania."

"Huh!?"

Unintentionally, I ended up patting Tania's head, like I do to Kanade.

"Oops, my bad. I didn't mean to treat you like a child; I just wanted to express my gratitude. Are you mad?"

"N-N-No, of course not...!?"

"Do you dislike it?"

"Umm... Not really."

Tania blushed and turned her head away... but she didn't move away.

On the contrary, she seemed to offer her head for more.

"Y-You can do as you like?"

"Okay then, I'll do that."

As I continued to stroke blushing Tania...

"Umm... Can you please stop acting lovey-dovey right in front of me when we're in the middle of a conversation?"

I received an annoyed glare from Natalie.

"Anyway... So, as I was saying, Shroud-san is now promoted to B-rank. If you were to reject the promotion, we can cancel it..."

"No, I won't do that."

"That's good to hear. I was worried about what to do if you refused."

"Is there really anyone who would decline?"

In response to Tania's question, Natalie replied with a weary tone.

Occasionally, there are people like that. Advancing to higher ranks comes with various benefits, but it also brings greater responsibilities. Some people prefer to stay at lower ranks and avoid the additional burden.

"Huh, there are people like that? I don't really understand. If there's a higher rank available, I'd want to pursue it to the fullest."

"It would be great if all adventurers had your mindset, Tania."

Natalie smiled wryly...

Then, suddenly, she remembered something and continued speaking.

"By the way, Shroud-san, do you have any intention of attempting the A-rank promotion test?"

"The A-rank promotion test?"

I had just recently been promoted to B-rank, so why are we talking about A-rank already...? I was puzzled.

In response to my question, Natalie began to explain.

"Up to B-rank, the Adventurer Guild can promote adventurers based on their judgment. However, to advance to A-rank, you need both significant achievements and you have to pass a special examination. In your case, your achievements are undeniable, so if you take the test and pass, you can become an A-rank adventurer."

"I see, so that's how it works."

"Once you become A-rank, you'll receive even more benefits."

"Like what?"

"Well... there are various benefits, and it's hard to summarize in one word, but roughly speaking, you'll have power equivalent to nobility."

"That's...?"

"Just having strength alone isn't enough for certain missions. To handle such cases, A-rank adventurers are granted powers similar to nobles. Of course, they won't be involved in governing the city or politics like actual nobles, but there are stories of A-rank adventurers becoming real nobles and political figures."

It was an unbelievable story, but I could somewhat understand it. There are cases where not just strength but also authority is necessary to handle certain incidents.

The incident with the former lord of this city and his son Edgar, whom I dealt with previously, might be similar.

"But, can they just give out such power so easily?"

"The certification of A-rank adventurers involves the king as well. So, it's completely legitimate."

"I see. It's something that the human authorities have determined. For humans, they sometimes come up with pretty decent ideas."

Tania nodded in admiration.

"When does this test take place?"

"As luck would have it, it's coming up soon. It'll be held in the capital, not here."

"I see."

"What will you do then? If you plan to take the A-rank promotion test, I'll immediately inform the capital. Also, I'll prepare a letter of recommendation for you. So, what's your decision?"

"That is..."

I couldn't answer Natalie's question right away.

While there seem to be various benefits, of course, it's not all positive.

The responsibilities will increase, and I won't be able to act carelessly.

What should I do?

I seriously pondered my decision.

TL Note- Should Rain skip B rank and become psudeo-noble? Answer in the comments. 


Comments

Popular Posts