The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 198: What is the true culprit's purpose?

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)



...After about half a day, we arrived at the mountain in the north.

If Kanade and I carried everyone and used our body-enhancing magic, we could have shortened the time even more...

But if we did that, we would stand out too much.

If the impostor notices us and manages to escape, it would be a disaster.

So, we decided to proceed on foot, trying not to attract attention.

"Um..."

As we entered the mountain, I looked back for a moment.

"Nyan-nya~♪"

Kanade was full of energy, singing a tune. For her, it seemed like a casual walk, and she enjoyed climbing the mountain.

However...

"Pant, pant, pant..."

"Puff, puff... Hiiii..."

Sora and Luna were gasping for breath, their faces on the verge of collapsing.

"Hafu... Nn... Hufu... Haa, haa..."

"Nina, hang in there! Just a little longer!"

Nina also appeared tired, sweat forming on her forehead.

Tina, on the other hand, used magic to float and move effortlessly, showing no signs of fatigue.

"Let's take a rest here for today."

We found a suitable clearing and put down our belongings.

Then, we began preparing for camping.

"Rain... We don't have time to rest... Cough, cough!?!"

"We need to find the culprit quickly... The night is progressing... Hii, fuu..."

"Are you alright? You pushed yourself too hard. I'm sorry."

Sora and Luna were not exaggerating; they looked like they could collapse any moment.

"Nina, the sheet."

"Mm."

Nina took out a sheet from the pocket dimension and spread it on the ground.

She led Sora and Luna to sit on it, holding their hands.

"Haa, haa... Sorry... We're slowing you down..."

"We are of no use. From now on, instead of calling us spirit beings, you can call us the 'lack of stamina' clan..."

"It's only natural to get tired after coming all the way here at once. I'm tired too, so let's rest here today. I don't expect to resolve everything in one day... And considering the possibility of encountering the impostor, we need to conserve our energy."

And that's how we ended up spending the night in the mountain, just a little way in.



――――――――――


Gathered around the crackling bonfire...

"Haah... It feels like we've come back to life."

"It's warm and cozy."

After having a meal, resting our bodies, and warming up...

Sora and Luna had a heartwarming smile, showing signs of moderate recovery.

The others seemed to be in a similar state.

"Ng... Haa..."

Nina was dozing off, lazily rowing an imaginary boat.

"Nina, are you sleepy?"

"Mm... Just a little..."

Despite saying that, it seemed like Nina was struggling to keep her eyes open.

She must have been tired as well.

I held Nina's small body, and she clung to me.

Closing her eyes, she fell fast asleep.

I carried Nina into the tent we had set up in advance and gently laid her down.

Then, Tina floated over softly and landed beside Nina.

"I'm going to sleep too... Fwaaah..."

"Have a good rest."

"Thank you... Goodnight."

Tina might not experience physical fatigue, but...

Flying constantly would consume a considerable amount of magical power.

It seemed she was tired to some extent as well, as I could hear her breathing peacefully soon after.

Whispering "Goodnight" in a soft voice, I left the tent.

"Oh, you're back, Rain."

"Huh? Where are Sora and Luna?"

When I returned to the bonfire, only Kanade was there.

"I moved them to another tent. They were at their limit."

"I see. Thanks for that."

"No problem. You're welcome."

Kanade and I sat together, gazing at the flickering flames.

"Aren't you going to sleep, Kanade?"

"Hmm... I'm not really tired. As a cat spirit being, my stamina is unmatched, so this is nothing for me. What about you, Rain?"

"I'm fine too. I have confidence in my stamina."

"Nyafu. As expected of Rain♪"

"Since we have the opportunity, want to chat for a bit?"

"...Huh?! Now that I think about it, it's nighttime, and it's just the two of us... Th-This is...!?"

Kanade's ears stood straight up.

"Kanade?"

"N-No, it's nothing! Absolutely nothing!"

"Is that so?"

It definitely looks like something's up...

"Really, it's fine!"

"Well, if you say so..."

Sometimes, Kanade behaves suspiciously.

Lately, the frequency of such behavior has been increasing... I wonder if she's hiding something?

Well, even though we're comrades, there are things that can't be shared with others, so I won't worry about it.

She doesn't seem deeply troubled, so for now, it's okay to just keep an eye on her.

"By the way, Kanade..."

"Yeah? What is it!?"

"What do you think about this incident?"

"... "

Kanade's expression suddenly became extremely disappointed.

"Kanade?"

"I guess... bringing up such a topic at a time like this is really typical of you, Rain... Nyafu~"

"Um...?"

"No, it's nothing. What I said just now was like talking to myself. Don't mind it. Anyway... about this incident..."

"Yeah. The imposter pretending to be Tania appeared, right?"

"It's kind of a strange story, isn't it?"

Kanade formed her tail into a "?" shape and tilted her head.

Apparently, Kanade was thinking the same thing.

"The other dragon used Tania's name and committed various misdeeds. Normally, it would seem like they're trying to frame Tania... But the problem is, why would they do that?"

Not only among dragons but also among the strongest species in general, it is said that the inter-species relationships are good.

Unlike humans, they are said to possess a noble spirit... but it's also because their population is small, so they can't afford to fight among themselves. 

If they engage in conflicts with each other, it would lead them straight to extinction. Therefore, they are forbidden from fighting and are encouraged to cooperate with each other.

This is what I've heard from everyone, so I think there's no mistake. 

Although they may have minor quarrels, they never engage in life-threatening battles.

Their bond within the species is so strong.

However...

In this incident, they are trying to frame Tania.

They are doing something that would harm their own comrades.

Why would they do such a thing?

As I ponder over it, I can't find the answer.

"What do you think, Kanade?"

"Well... It seems undeniable that there is another dragon. But it's hard to imagine... Could it be some sort of internal conflict? But normally, that's impossible. Even though they may have minor quarrels, this time it has gone too far..."

"If things go wrong, Tania might be hunted down by humans."

"Yes, exactly. That's the point. Despite the possibility of that happening, they are putting the blame on Tania... For us, the strongest species, it's something unimaginable. There must be some hidden reason behind it... or perhaps they have an extremely strong grudge."

"I see."

"In any case, this incident seems to be getting serious."

"We have to brace ourselves."

I have gone through a fair share of hardships, but I can't afford to let my guard down because of that. I must prove Tania's innocence, so failure is not an option. I will absolutely not let my guard down and approach this with determination.

"Nya..."

Kanade's ears drooped.

"What's wrong?"

"Well... It's my first time experiencing something like this, so I'm feeling a little anxious."

"I see."

"I'm sorry. By saying this, I might make you worried too, Rain..."

"It's okay."

"Funya!?"

I gently stroked Kanade's head, who was sitting beside me.

Startled...

And then, Kanade's tail stood up straight.

"It's fine to honestly express your worries when you're feeling anxious."

"But..."

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't keep such things a secret. We're comrades, after all."

"Rain..."

Kanade's eyes became moist.

I was stared at with those eyes.

Perhaps it was because of the campfire?

Kanade's cheeks appeared slightly red.

"Well then... I'll indulge myself a little bit."

"Yeah, go ahead."

"Well... Ei!"

Kanade softly leaned towards me.

Our shoulders touched.

Kanade's silky hair brushed against my cheek.

"Is it okay to just stay like this?"

"Is it enough to just stay like this?"

"Yes... This is more than enough♪"

Kanade purred softly.

A peaceful and tranquil time flowed.

"Nya~♪"

Embracing the pleasant weight...

Listening to Kanade's gentle voice, resembling soft music...

For a while, we gazed at the flickering campfire, swaying gently.

TL Note-  Kanade and Rain's ship is sailing ahead.




Comments

Popular Posts