The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 196 False Accusation

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)


"What?" 

Suddenly, Tania's eyes widened as she was told she was being arrested. I think I had a similar expression on my face. 

Could it be that Stella is joking in her own way? 

...I think such a thing, but Stella's expression was serious. 

The two knights who seemed to be her subordinates also had their hands on their hilts, ready to draw their swords at any moment, surrounding Tania from both sides. 

"Wait a minute, Are you serious? Why do I have to be arrested?" 

Upon being told she was being arrested out of the blue, Tania said with a displeased expression. She emitted a slight anger. 

Affected by Tania's anger, the two knights who seemed to be her subordinates faltered... 

As expected, Stella didn't falter at all and kept her sword pointed at Tania. 

"I'm serious. Will you obediently come with us to the Knight Order branch?" 

"Hmm... I don't really understand, but it seems like you're serious." 

Tania's eyes sharpened like those of a raptor. 

"But it's better to say things like that after seeing your opponent, you know? It's the height of foolishness to think you can handle someone like me through force. You need to rethink that naive idea..." 

"That's enough!" 

Stella hurriedly stopped Tania, who was entering a combat stance. 

"Wait, why are you stopping me!?" 

"Don't fight in the middle of the street! Besides, we need to hear the circumstances first." 

"There's no need to listen to the nonsense of someone who talks about arresting me." 

Tania turned away in a huff. It seems she's angry in her own way after being told she's being arrested out of the blue. 

I can understand her feelings to some extent, but... 

I wish she would calm down a little bit more. 

While soothing Tania, I turned to Stella. 

"I'll accompany you as well, is that okay? And... for now, can you explain the situation? If that's the condition, I'll go along quietly." 

"Very well. We had the intention of explaining properly anyway." 

"Hmph, whatever. It felt like a cut-and-dry 'no questions asked' kind of situation, though." 

"Don't be so stubborn."


――――――――――

I brought along the sulking Tania and moved to the Knight Order branch together.

We entered the building and moved to a private room.

It wasn't an interrogation room, but rather a room equipped with various furniture.

It was probably a guest room.

Tania and I sat side by side on the prepared sofa.

Stella took a seat across from us, with a table between us.

The two knights who were her subordinates stood on her left and right.

"So... what exactly is going on?"

"Yes. It's not easy to say... but recently, there have been frequent reports of dragon sightings. Moreover, there have been cases where they not only appear but also attack people."

Tania and I exchanged glances.

Could it be related to what just happened a while ago?

However, there are still questions remaining.

"I haven't heard such stories from the Guild..."

"The Guild is currently discussing how to handle this situation. We don't want to escalate things too much, so we're keeping it confidential for now. But the situation is what it is. If rumors spread about dragons appearing and attacking people, it could cause panic. We need to proceed cautiously."

"I see."

"And... just now, we have decided on our course of action. Our Knight Order and the Adventurer's Guild have decided to apprehend the culprit before the damage expands."

"Wait a minute! Why does that lead to me being arrested?"

"Well, um, I apologize for that... but the fact is, Tania is the only dragonkin confirmed to be in this vicinity of Horizon. Based on that, the country made a hasty judgment and issued an order to arrest Tania..."

"This is ridiculous... They treated me as the culprit based solely on the fact that I'm a dragonkin without properly verifying the facts? That's absurd."

Tania was indignant...

I, to some extent, understood what Stella was saying.

Perhaps Stella also doesn't believe that Tania is attacking people.

However, the higher-ups who don't know Tania... the country didn't come to that conclusion.

They presumed Tania was the culprit.

As someone serving the country, Stella couldn't go against the orders...

So she reluctantly took Tania into custody... that's the situation.

"Well, if that's the case, then it's easy to resolve."

"What do you mean?"

I explained to Stella the events that had just occurred.

The fact that there was a dragon other than Tania.

That the dragon was attempting to attack adventurers.

I explained those incidents in detail.

"I see... so, in other words, there's another dragonkin apart from Tania."

"They were actually attacking people... most likely, that's the real culprit."

"I see... I see..."

"Alright! In that case, my suspicion is cleared, right? Can I go home now?"

Tania said with a smile, but Stella shook her head.

"I'm sorry, but I can't permit that."

"Why not!?"

"Rain's testimony alone is not enough evidence to prove the existence of another dragon. Of course, I believe that Tania wouldn't do such a thing... but those above have stubborn minds."

"Then, if we have other evidence, would that be enough? We can ask the adventurers we helped for their testimony..."

"...It still might not be enough to convince those above. Rain is Tania's comrade. They might judge that Rain gave a false testimony for the sake of their comrade."

"What?! Falsifying testimony is a serious crime, right? So they would judge that I would do something like that?"

"To be honest, that possibility is high."

"Absurd... The people above you are more stubborn than I thought. Are they out of their minds?"

Ignoring Tania's outburst, Stella looked apologetic.

However... I can somewhat understand what those above are thinking. When in a position of managing the Knight Order, they hold immense power. But, on the other hand, that burden is unbelievably heavy. One wrong judgment could lead to significant damage. Therefore, mistakes are not tolerated by those in charge. They need to investigate every possibility, act cautiously, and pursue the truth. They can't simply believe my words as someone on the scene.

"Moreover, it's difficult to say... but..."

"What is it?"

"The crucial thing is that the dragon apparently introduced themselves as 'I am Tania, a dragon.'"

"What!?"

"I know Tania well, so I can tell that it's an entirely different person... but for someone who doesn't know her, it's indistinguishable. Most people in this town know about Tania, but for those in higher positions, especially those far away from the town... it becomes even more difficult."

"For them to use my name without permission... Ugh, it's frustrating, but there's no point in getting angry at you, Stella... I understand. If there are such reasons, it's natural for me to be suspected."

Stella explained, trying to defend her position.

"As long as there are orders, it won't be so easy... I'm sorry, but could you stay here and not go outside during the investigation? There's no way we can catch Tania. I don't even want to. So, until we find the real culprit, I want you to stay hidden here."

"You don't mean to put me in a prison, do you?"

"I won't do such a thing. I intend for you to stay in this guest room. However, I can't allow you to go outside, so it will be like a form of house arrest..."

"What? That sounds incredibly bothersome."

Tania pouted.

I can understand her feelings to some extent. After all, we know for sure that there is another culprit. It's frustrating to be treated as the culprit when we know the truth.

However, I can also understand Stella's position, where she has to follow orders...

And I can't say that I completely disagree with the thoughts of those giving the orders.

In the end...

There seems to be only one way to solve this case.

"In that case, I'll catch the real culprit."

"Rain?"

Tania looked surprised and turned her gaze towards me.

Good grief... why are you so surprised?

If our comrade is being suspected, it's only natural to help them.

"If we can prove that there is another dragonkin who is the real culprit, then catching the true culprit would solve the problem, right? So, if I catch the real culprit, there shouldn't be any issues."

"Well... yes, that would be the case... but is it alright? We intended to resolve this matter within our knight order and didn't plan on troubling you, Rain."

"Tania is involved in this. It's not something unrelated. I'll do anything to prove Tania's innocence."

"Rain..."

Tania looked at me with a happy expression, staring intently.

Her cheeks were slightly flushed.

Is she embarrassed?

But there's nothing to be embarrassed about... It's a mystery.

"Can Tania wait here? We will definitely catch the true culprit."

"..."

"Tania?"

"Ah... y-yes. Well, if Rain says so, then I'll leave it to you... or rather, I'm asking for your help... anyway, do your best for my sake! If you fail, I won't forgive you!"

"There's no way I'll fail. It's for Tania's sake. I'll definitely succeed."

"Ahh, for my sake... ugh... Rain, you sometimes say things that make my heart race. Truly, I can't underestimate you..."

"Tania?"

"Oh, it's nothing. Anyway, I'm counting on you, okay? Catch the foolish dragonkin who's causing trouble and prove my innocence!"

"Yeah, leave it to me."

In response to Tania's words, I nodded firmly.

TL Note- Damn the accusations.....



Comments

Popular Posts