The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 184: A Good End That's Not a Happy End

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)



... A week has passed since then.

The impact that Iris left in various places was significant, and the guilds and knights were busy dealing with it.

Rebuilding the village of Pagos.

Treating the injured.

Investigating whether there are similar seals elsewhere.

The guild and knights worked together to respond to the situation in various places.

As for me...

Despite disobeying orders and acting on my own discretion, I received no punishment.

I ignored orders to obtain insurance in case the operation failed.

And my solo action was to help everyone by noticing Iris's trap in advance.

Before I knew it, the story had concluded in that way.

I just did whatever I wanted...

But well, since I wasn't reprimanded in the end, I let it go.

There were various things, but I didn't want to quit being an adventurer.

If Axe and Cel had exposed everything, it might not have turned out this way...

But the two of them said nothing and left.

It may have been their own kindness.

However, without exchanging words of farewell...

I realized anew that my connection with the two of them had been cut off.

I had prepared myself for it, but when it actually happened, I felt a little lonely.

After the interrogation was over, we also participated in the post-processing.

I thought that by moving my body, I could avoid thinking about unnecessary things.

I wanted time to organize my thoughts and feelings.

And so, a week passed in the blink of an eye...


――――――――――


"I had come to the mountain where Iris was sealed.

However, it wasn't the site of the shrine.

I had moved to a place with a good view.

"Rain, is this place okay?"

Kanade showed me the flower she had picked nearby.

"Yeah, this is enough. Thanks."

"No, it's nothing."

"Here, we're done too."

Tania brought a cross she made out of wood.

It was quite beautiful.

"Tania, thanks too."

"Well, I can do this anytime."

As she spoke, Tania erected the cross on the ground.

Then, Kanade added the flower.

"Holy Breath."

Sora and Luna cast a spell.

A faint light spread from the center of the cross.

It was a magic mainly used by priests to bless the target.

...



Nina kneeled in front of the cross, put her hands together, closed her eyes, and prayed.

Tina, who was sitting on her head, also stayed still.

She was probably praying just like Nina.

...

Following them, I also offered a prayer.

Kanade, Tania, Sora, and Luna followed suit.

"Phew."

After a while, I gently opened my eyes.

Everyone else also opened their eyes like me.

Seeing everyone, I spoke softly.

"Thank you, everyone, for putting up with my selfishness."

After completing various post-processing, the first thing I did was...

To make Iris' grave.

Since she caused such an incident, of course, a grave for Iris would not be made.

Rather, she would be remembered as a demon who spread fear and destruction.

However...I thought it was too lonely.

So, I decided to make a grave at least.

I didn't know where the Celestials used to live...

So I chose this place where she could rest peacefully with a good view.

「......」

Looking at Iris's grave, I can't help but feel a certain indescribable emotion.

Iris isn't here underneath.

In truth, she is with the ruins...

When I think about what happened back then, my chest still hurts.

Wasn't there another way to do it?

Couldn't I have held on, no matter what?

I can't help but think about those things.

Even though it's pointless...

Yet, the regret still won't disappear.

"Rain."

When I made a face like that, Kanade held both of my hands in hers.

"Rain, you did your best."

"Kanade..."

"I wasn't there with you... but... I think your feelings reached Iris. After all... didn't she smile at the end?"

Everyone knows what happened from start to finish.

"Even though it turned out like this... Rain, what you did wasn't a waste. And it's not like you did something wrong. You just did what you thought was best, and there was no other way... meow?"

Kanade seems to be getting confused as she talks, tilting her head to the side.

She's not very good at talking about these kinds of things...

It's kind of funny.

"Anyway..."

Tania chimes in from the side.

"Rain accomplished something that no one else could do."

"Tania..."

"Be proud of yourself. That's something no one else could do. Sure, not everything went smoothly, but... there's no use in regretting forever, is there? Iris wouldn't approve of that, right? She'd say something like... 'You beat me, so be more proud of yourself!'"

"Hey, that's my line!?" Tania exclaims, her face turning red from having her line stolen by Luna.

Ignoring those two, Sora smiles softly at me.

"A gloomy expression doesn't suit you, Rain. I want you to keep smiling, like you always do. I'm sure Iris would prefer that too, don't you think?"

"Um... I think so too. Everyone... looks better when they smile, right?"

"If you keep making that gloomy face, Iris will scold you. That's not a type of face we want you to have either," Nina and Tina add, joining in the conversation.

Everyone is worried about me.

They care about me.

That makes me really happy.

It feels like my heart is warming up.

"...You're right."

I can't keep dragging this on forever.

Regrets don't disappear easily.

I can't forget about Iris right away.

But I'm still alive.

And I'm here with everyone.

I have to face forward and keep walking.

"..."

Finally, I look at Iris's grave one more time.

And in my heart, I say:

There were a lot of things, but...I can't hate Iris after all.

Maybe, I even found her likeable.

Now, I want her to rest peacefully.

...Goodbye.

TL Note- Life is nothing but accumulation of hello and Goodbye, so with that thought in mind let's wish Iris a Goodbye 👋. 


Comments

Popular Posts