The beast tamer exiled from the hero’s party and the cat eared girl from the strongest race meet


Chapter 178: Those Who Lurk in the Ruins

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)

Once again, We rode on Tania's back and flew through the sky. We hurried a little and soon the eastern ruins the villagers had told us about came into view.

However, it seemed that the extermination squad had already arrived, as camping tents were set up near the ruins. We couldn't afford to be found, so we circled around and landed in a gap between trees on the right-hand side of the ruins.

"What do we do?" Tania asked.

"I want to scout the area a bit, but we don't have much time," I replied.

From above, it seemed that the extermination squad had almost finished setting up the tents. They were just about ready to begin the extermination.

"Sora, Luna, do you know where Iris is?" I asked.

"Leave it to us."

"Just wait a moment," Sora and Luna closed their eyes and focused. Then, they used magic...

After a while, they tilted their heads with confusion. "That's strange...there's no response at all."

"Does that mean Iris is no longer in this ruin...?" I asked.

"Well, I don't know. I couldn't sense anything inside the ruins," Sora replied.

"Perhaps the ruins don't allow magic to pass through, or maybe the magic is sealed off...either way, it's troublesome. We can't tell what's going on inside," Luna added.

"...So, does that mean we can't use magic at all?" I asked.

"Indeed, that's what it means," Sora replied.

Not being able to tell what was happening inside the ruins was already a problem, but not being able to use magic was an even bigger issue. Even if Iris was inside, we wouldn't be able to seal her off on the spot. We'd have to drag her out. It was a very difficult task, and executing it would be even harder.

Despite all of that, we couldn't give up.

"Can Sora and Luna stay here on standby? Please be prepared so that we can seal at any time."

"Understood."

"Alright then."

"Nina and Tina, also stay here on standby. Please support Sora and Luna... or politely turn away anyone who comes."

"We'll do our best."

"Leave it to us!"

"Hey, what about us?"

Kanade tugged on the hem of my clothes.

"Are we going into the ruins with Rain?"

"Well... it's a bit dangerous, but there's something I need to ask for."

"I see... what is it?"

Even though it's said to be dangerous, Tania doesn't seem to be afraid. Rather, she seems somewhat happy.

Now that I think...

Being entrusted with something dangerous makes her happy. Asking for something like that is proof that everyone trust her.

"I want you to distract the troops outside."

"Is that a diversion?"

"That's right. If we leave it as it is, the troops will rush into the ruins. I want to delay them as much as possible."

"I understand... got it."

"But you don't have to push yourself too hard. Tania can transform into a dragon form, and Kanade can ride on her back... It's enough to stir things up from a relatively safe altitude. If you feel it's dangerous, don't push yourself and withdraw immediately."

"Oh? Don't we need to  slow them down or something?"

"The enemy is an elite force gathered to defeat Iris, so we can't underestimate them. And I can't let you two get into danger."

"...Is that because you're worried about me?"

"Of course."

"I see... well, if you put it that way... I'll follow your instructions properly."

Tania blushed a little and spoke her mind honestly.

However, her tail was wagging like a dog's.

"Meow... So, Rain is going to the ruins alone? Are you okay? Won't you get lost?"

"I'll be fine. I promise not to do anything reckless."

"That's suspicious."

Everyone chimed in and criticized me.

"Make sure you don't do anything reckless, okay? It's a promise, right?"

"If you do something foolish, I'll burn you with my breath."

"Sora is worried. Rain always does something reckless."

"Make sure you think carefully before you act."

"Good luck... okay?"

"I'll be cheering for you! And if something happens, I'll come to help right away."

With everyone's encouragement, I felt energized.

I'll definitely make this operation a success!

――――――――――


The noise outside the ruins grew louder.

Perhaps Kanade and Tania had started their diversion.

Their opponents were seasoned adventurers and knights.

I just hope they don't push themselves too hard...

"Wait, now's not the time to worry about others."

First, I need to think about myself.

If I fail, everything will be called off.

"But still..."

As soon as I entered the ruins, a strange feeling hit me.

It's like my body couldn't move properly or something...

"Boost."

I tried casting a spell, but nothing changed.

As Sora and Luna said, magic doesn't work inside this ruin.

In addition, my physical abilities seem to be limited to some extent.

The power I obtained through my contract with Kanade is also restricted...

Am I just slightly better than an ordinary person now?

"This is bad."

Even if I find Iris in this situation, I don't know if I can bring her out safely...

"Wait, what about Iris? Is she affected by the ruins?"

If that's the case, why is she hiding here?

It seems like an act of pushing herself into a corner...

"Well, I'll have to ask her myself."

I head deeper into the ruins.

It's not a very complicated structure, so I don't get lost.

Before long, I come to a large hall.

Is this the King's Chamber?

There's something that looks like a rotting throne at the back of the room.

And there... was Iris.

"Good day, Rain-sama."

"You seem to be doing better than I expected, Iris."

"Yes. Although I had a painful experience, I have fully recovered."

"I guess it goes both ways, doesn't it? We both had a close call."

"Hehe."

Iris giggles softly. Her smile seems genuine and innocent, without any ulterior motives.

"Rain-sama, you've really changed."

"Hmm? What's this sudden talk about?"

"Well, we once tried to kill each other, didn't we? And yet, we're talking so casually now... Usually, things like this would be more tense."

"I see what you mean... But there's a reason why it didn't turn out that way."

"A reason? Can you tell me what it is?"

"Well, no matter how you slice it, I just can't bring myself to hate you, Iris."

"...?"

Iris looks stunned for a moment...

"Hahaha!"

Then she bursts out laughing.

"You're such an odd one... Even though I'm supposed to be everyone's absolute enemy, you still say things like that... And not as a flimsy excuse, but as your honest feelings... Hehehe. I'm even more interested in you now, Rain-sama."

"I'd love to keep chatting with you, but... Sorry, I don't have much time."

"Are you talking about the people gathering outside?"

"You noticed?"

"Of course. When so many people gather like a swarm of insects, it's hard not to notice."

Iris says with annoyance in her voice.

But if that's the case... It's even more mysterious.

Why would Iris, who cannot use magic and whose abilities are limited, choose to stay hidden in the depths of a ruin like this?

"You have that look on your face. 'Why are you here?', right?"

"How did you know?"

"You're too straightforward, Rain-sama. Your thoughts are easy to read."

"Is that so...?"

Sometimes, people say similar things to me.

Maybe I should practice making a poker face?

"But well, I think that's part of your charm, Rain-sama... Please continue to be yourself."

"I can't tell if you're praising me or making fun of me."

"Hehehe, I'm definitely praising you."

Iris giggles softly and then sharpens her expression.

"Well then... Since I have the chance, I'll answer your question."

"That's a great service."

"I'm generous like that, you know? I won't ask for anything in return, so don't worry."

"Alright then, I'll ask without hesitation. Why are you here, Iris?"

"The answer is simple. This is the place where we can exhibit our full power... It's the ruins of the celestial tribe."


TL Note- My exams are finally over....gonna sleep till tomorrow. 


Comments

Popular Posts