Evil Avalon


Chapter 127 Overture

(TL:By Rafael,valhallatls.blogspot.com)



-Kaworu Hayase's perspective -


I hurriedly made my way to Arena 1 as time had almost run out. I had expected a large crowd in the spectator seats, and I was prepared for it, but when I arrived and entered, I found that there were fewer than ten people seated, and it was extremely quiet.

However, the individuals sitting there had a distinctive appearance and presence. They were probably the leaders of the Eight Dragons. Even though they weren't emitting any "Aura," their mere presence was intimidating, and I couldn't even bring myself to look at them properly.

Despite the scrutiny, Suo-kun wore a calm smile and walked confidently.

"Well then, Lisa-san, Kaworu-san, shall we go to the upper seats?"

"Yes, let's go, Haya-se-san. It's okay to just watch and keep our decision pending, right?"

"...Uh, yes, that's right."

I really wanted to get away from this place as soon as possible, but it wasn't possible. I took a deep breath to regain my composure and walked with proper posture, following Suo-kun.

Tsukishima-kun had told me that he would give me "strength." To achieve that, joining the party he led was a condition. If I were to join, he would entice me with the promise of power leveling using confidential information, and I could quickly gain multiple powerful skills.

Sitting next to me, Suo-kun was a powerful individual beyond level 20, and Nitta-san was also a possessor of "divine power" like Tsukishima-kun. It was clear that the invitation to the party was not a lie or an exaggeration.

I did want to be strong every day. I desired strength to the point that it haunted my dreams and I craved it desperately. However, the definition and meaning of "strength" as Tsukishima-kun described it were significantly different from what I desired. The strength I pursued and longed for was not just about having high combat abilities.

A strong adventurer must guide the weak and must possess a noble heart that seeks to be the light of hope for people. When wielding great power, they must be righteous and compassionate.

That was the philosophy of my late mother, who was a top-tier adventurer, and it was her legacy and my belief. I aspired to become an adventurer and struggled at this school because I wanted to reach that high ideal.

But the golden light Skuld used was completely different.

To test it, Suo-kun, Nitta-san, and I tried to receive the golden light that turned us into "curses," but the moment we were bathed in it, my vision went dark with fear, and I collapsed right there. I had thought it was a long and agonizing experience, but when I heard it lasted only a few seconds, I couldn't stop trembling.

I understood from the experience that it was a power specialized in fundamentally controlling and subduing people. It had no trace of the strength I aspired to. What was Tsukishima-kun planning to do with Skuld's power? What was the purpose of instilling fear in the Adventurer School and what lay beyond that?

I was also concerned about the thoughts of the two people sitting next to me.

Suo-kun seemed to be enthralled by Tsukishima-kun's knowledge and power, and if he had joined forces with him in the pursuit of even greater power, I could somewhat understand. But Nitta-san's intentions were less clear to me. If she had switched her allegiance from the target individual, whom she acknowledged as being as strong as her, there had to be a reason. Maybe I should ask her directly.

"…Nitta-san, even though you possess divine power, why did you switch from the target individual to Tsukishima-kun? May I ask that?"

Based on what I had heard so far, the target individual had the same divine power and was acknowledged by Nitta-san as being very strong. Nevertheless, he was not on the front stage... at least, I was not aware of it. From this, I could infer that he was not the type to use power as Tsukishima-kun did to manipulate his surroundings but instead operated in the shadows, moving cautiously.

On the other hand, Nitta-san seemed to be quick-witted, observant, and calculating, moving quietly. So why did she choose to follow Tsukishima-kun, who wanted to dominate the school with force and not the target individual who was compatible with her more? It seemed as though her reasons for wanting to rampage, just like Tsukishima-kun, were contrived at best.

I looked into Nitta-san's eyes and asked, and she answered in a mischievous and softly spoken tone.

"Mmm, it's not like I've switched sides yet, you know? If I were to say... I intend to join the winning side. Oh, and let's keep this a secret from Tsukishima-kun."

"Haha, Lisa-san. Doesn't that essentially mean you'll be siding with Takuya-san? There doesn't seem to be any point in keeping it a secret."

"…Haha. To lose to an opponent of this level… it would be a honor, right? It would be interesting if it turns into a good fight, but it seems challenging, doesn't it?"

It was not the most straightforward response, but Nitta-san, who knew the abilities of both parties, seemed to believe that Tsukishima-kun would overwhelmingly win. Is she really planning to choose solely based on their abilities?

(As expected, I need to witness this battle and intervene to prevent a catastrophe... but)

Can I, who is powerless, really stop this? How should I persuade them? Do I have the courage for it? Such thoughts were swirling in my mind when the duel finally began.

Tsukishima-kun, using a new summoning magic called Ignis, overwhelmed the Vice-President of the First Swordsmanship Club. Currently, he is engaged in combat with the Student Council President.

Their battle was characterized by the swift exchange of blows that sliced through the air, as their immense magical power and determination clashed. Each strike caused the air to burst with energy, and the low impact sounds and vibrations reached us even as we sat.

To be honest, this wasn't a battle for students of the Adventurer School. They had long surpassed that level. I wondered if they would easily fit into a top-tier raiding clan right now.

"That Student Council President is strong, isn't he? His magical manipulation and combat skills are top-notch."

"Sagara President is the head of the Eight Dragons, and he's considered a legend at this school. If you try to defeat him directly with martial arts, it's going to be quite a struggle. But..."

"If Skuld is there, there's no problem at all. Haha."

Indeed, it appeared that Tsukishima-kun was being pushed back, even in my eyes. I had thought it was due to the Student Council President's high Strength (STR), but according to Nitta-san, it was due to his magical manipulation and combat skills.

And finally, the balance was disrupted. Tsukishima-kun's wrist was bent in the wrong direction due to a direct exchange of skills. He bled profusely and briefly contorted his face in pain, but he still had a remarkable composure in his expression. The two people talking next to me also appeared calm and unruffled. It was because they had a clear and irrefutable reason to believe that they would not lose.

This reason was Skuld, who was kept in reserve even during this battle in the dungeon's depths. This was to create a loophole in the constraint that allowed only one summoned entity at a time. Tsukishima-kun raised his bloody arm, and golden light descended from somewhere, healing his wounds in an instant. In addition, all his stats rose, and he was enveloped in an all-encompassing sensation of power welling up from the depths of his body.

On the other hand, those who opposed him were attacked by a curse of fear. If you were to be bathed in it directly below, the unbearable fear would shatter your mind in an instant, making it impossible to resist. Even the Student Council President, who had attacked directly, should have had all his mobility taken away, or so I thought.

(Why... can he still stand up...?)

Despite nearly collapsing at one point, the Student Council President, gritting his teeth, resisted the mental assault of fear. Even though he had been easily overpowered in a counterattack, I thought it was incredible just to be able to move. Attacking within that light was a display of extraordinary mental strength.

"I thought he would surrender immediately, but as expected of President Sagara, he's tough. Is it because of his high MND (Mind) stat? Well, it's only a matter of time, I think."

"Even if he endures for a while, it only deepens the mental scars. But seeing the top of the Eight Dragons defeated could be a symbolic scene of dominating the school, right? Haha."

The battle was still ongoing, but it had become completely one-sided. The attack speed was half or less of what it had been during their martial arts combat. On the other hand, Tsukishima-kun, whose strength had increased significantly due to the buff, effortlessly tossed the Student Council President aside with a light shove.

The Student Council President continued to launch attacks without giving up, but each of them was countered, and he was thrown against the wall. His glasses were crooked, his clothing was tattered, blood was flowing, yet his gaze remained as sharp as ever. I wondered how much training and determination were required to possess a heart that could stand up to such fear, even for someone as strong as him.

Even for someone strong, Skuld's power relentlessly crushed with ruthless efficiency. Would Tsukishima-kun really control  the president, as he claimed? I absolutely didn't want that to happen—thinking that, I couldn't stay put any longer.

 *・・*・・*・・*・・*・・*

"Stop right there, Tsukishima-kun. You mustn't use that power."

"...Why did you come out?"

His eyes that gazed at me were filled with anger. It's understandable, considering she was attempting to thwart what had been planned over time.

But I didn't intend to be in opposition to Tsukishima-kun. Admittedly, I couldn't even scratch the surface of him, let alone become his enemy. However, if he had shown me even a hint of goodwill once, I hoped that my voice might reach him.

"You're strong, undoubtedly stronger than anyone. But great power must be used for good. So, perhaps you should reconsider things like domination and strive to become a respectable adventurer together with me?"

Adventurers who could become beacons of hope for many, leading them with their light. My late mother had been like that, and in the current day, people like Kotarou Tasato from the top-tier raiding clan "Colors" in Japan were shining examples.

A powerful adventurer could inspire hope in many people, and they had the qualification for it. If Tsukishima-kun had as much power as he did, he should be able to achieve that if he used Skuld's power for a noble purpose. With that thought in mind, I forced a smile and reached out my hand.

"I have no interest in becoming something as meaningless as that... Hah. Even though I was about to show everyone the 'strongest' who would dominate everything in this world. I never thought you'd be such a foolish woman..."

I thought I was making the best proposal, but it was completely dismissed as something meaningless, and it hurt deeply. More than that, what did he mean by wanting to dominate everything in the world? I tried to discern his true intentions by looking into Tsukishima-kun's eyes, and I noticed that his anger gradually changed into a look of delight.

"If you won't come to my side… Kaworu. Shall I also control you in the same way? This time, I'll make you taste even more prolonged suffering and correct your foolish thoughts."

With a light raise of his arm as a signal, the sparkling and gentle golden light that had been descending gradually dimmed, transforming into a light of despair mixed with red and black. Cold fear crawled up from the depths of my chest, and my field of vision narrowed as my consciousness slowly receded.

I desperately tried to hold onto my breaking heart, but cracks spread one after another, growing more severe, and it became unmanageable. I couldn't endure something like this.

(What... I'm so weak...)

The Student Council President, despite the light of despair, stood up repeatedly with strong conviction. However, within a mere moment, I lost all sight and sound. With such a miserable state, there was no way I could become a top-tier adventurer like my mother. Should I just give up?

――You can become one. You can—

As my consciousness drifted away, I felt a deeply familiar voice. Slowly, I opened my tightly shut eyelids, and there stood a slender man wearing a robe right in front of me.

His presence was faint, and his face was hidden behind a mask, much like the girl who had come to assist during the interclass match. Was this person the target that Tsukishima had mentioned? I wanted to inquire about the mask and robe in more detail, but right now, there were more pressing matters at hand.

"Escape... we can't defeat that person. You must run."

This duel was planned to lure out the target. Skuld, concealed behind the scenes, possessed an array of overwhelmingly powerful skills, making her invincible. Moreover, if one were to lose, one would be subjected to domination, becoming subservient.

If that happened, there would be no way to stop Tsukishima anymore. She needed to ensure that this person did not lose here.

"Kuku... I won't let you escape. Do you know that a player can even use this skill?"

Tsukishima made a casual motion with his index finger, and a creaking sound reverberated, causing my field of vision to flicker. From the sky, an immense magical power had spread out, indicating that Skuld had activated some skill.

The masked man calmly surveyed the sky, then turned back to face Tsukishima, nonchalantly cracking his neck.

"The space is locked. Well, I'll give you a choice. You can either brandish a contract magic here and pledge your obedience, or you will be thoroughly beaten down and then subjugated."

[...]

Tsukishima's arrogant laughter was met with a calm silence which was followed by  heavy release of magic by Tsukishima, and in response, the masked man deployed high-density magical power, making the air even heavier.

(No, I can't... I must find a way to stop this battle...)

Shaking her trembling, powerless body, she tried to shout "Run!" once more. But someone behind her grabbed her arm. It was Sagara, the Student Council President.

"Huff... It's all right. That man will never lose. Let's step back and not get in his way."

Sagara could say that because he didn't know about Skuld's power, and she was about to retort, but looking at his disheveled hair and bloodstains, his expression remained unwavering, revealing that he had absolute confidence in the masked man's victory.

[...]

"Very well, let's hear your choice... Answer."

A powerful entity was about to descend from above. The surrounding magical power overflowed, and the air began to vibrate intensely. Tsukhima was attempting to summon Skuld from the dungeon.

On the other hand, a gigantic magic circle appeared directly beneath the masked man, and an enormous pile of weapons began to materialize, reaching over ten meters high in no time. Were those armors made of mithril alloy? They seemed to merge as if possessing a will of their own, gradually forming a colossal humanoid figure.

And then he shouted loudly:

"It's... punishment time!!"


TL Note- The author took a half month long break but we are back now it's  punishment time.



Comments

  1. Dafug is going on here? I know I'm not sober but even if I was I would still be confused. Enslavement? Domination? Who dis guy think he is? Anos Voldigoad or sumthin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tsukishima (Coomer man) can mind control is an effect from his summon. So basically he wants to enslave the eight dragons and rule everything.

      Delete
    2. I understood that part. What I don't understand is why the naive idiot if a girl thought words would be enough to stop a person out to control people's minds like Cordyceps in an ant

      Delete
    3. I didn't read and just comment before but actually this chapter is nice and the next one is fire

      Delete
    4. @Alucard that's because She thought Coomerman liked her since he spent 1 month simping and failed all attempts to get her to go out with him.

      Delete
  2. And yeah we got the first worst women pov after weeks of waiting

    But I guess the next chapter is gold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a setup for them to reconcile she's already on verge of giving up. I think Souta will have to man up and talk with her, there's already a buildup for that since class competition.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still no update for the next chap?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Author is struggling to write the duel arc so he went on hiatus and announced he will post the next chapter on november 30.

      Delete
  6. Haloooo saya orang Indonesia, saya membaca LN ini dengan translation otomatis. Saya senang ada situs yang menayangkan LN ini karena situs dengan bahasa Indonesia sudah lama tidak update

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Lisa is officially new worst girl, by far. What a f*cking b*tch. I just hope that she isn't easily forgiven, but seeing that she is waiting for the winner she will probably come crawling to MCs side and he'll let her. Honestly that would piss me off like mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quien sabe si ella está fingiendo con el propósito para ver qué hará el prota

      Delete
  8. Honestly, this is an enjoyable read. But why is Tsukishima so dumb? Lisa Nitta is in close contact with his target. (Souta) Everyone in his class knows that Nitta and Souta dungeon dive together. And he never put 2 and 2 together? I know Nitta has a contract preventing her from telling him anything about Souta, but just common sense would at least make any regular person focus on Souta, especially after the school competition where his efforts significantly aided in E-Class beating D-Class. (regardless the excuse Souta made)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because his mindset was in "that fat guy is less than a worm"

      Delete
  9. Seems like its gonna take a while its already one month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Una pregunta cuando ustedes dice la fecha donde va publicar el capítulo por ejemplo el 30 de noviembre pero no sale y me di cuenta que siempre pública los domingo osea si la fecha cae domingo entonce ese día publicará pero si no cae entonces el domingo siguiente saldrá y eso es injusto hubiera dicho que el 30 ya estará listo para publicar el domingo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just want to say Sagara surpassed all my expectations. He might be favorite character right now. Originally a stepping stone in the game evolved into a real person with character and strong convictions. I had hopes for Sera but I lost that seeing her reaction to the MC's "future" and her abandoning him. The childhood friend is useless. Lisa is still unclear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts